A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Slow fade with Mograph
Posted: 20 October 2018 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2012-01-05

Hello

I’m trying to achieve an effect where cubes in a mograph cloner fade in and out.  I currently have a shader effector with some noise going into a color shader inside the transparency channel of a material.  However the cubes pop in and out of visibility.  I would like this to be a parametric effect rather than something where I animate the low clip/high clip of the noise.

Here is a file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4sd2902rx09k8x1/CubeTest.c4d?dl=0

Thanks for any ideas!

Posted: 20 October 2018 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the example file.

Here is you file back. Is that working for you? Let me know if you have something else that needs to be addressed.

Scene file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/q5IJzcuRskw5EFIaquhmkvkIXI3kauyUHlLYXcm5jLx

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 20 October 2018 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2012-01-05

Thanks Sassi!  Could you describe what you changed to the scene?  This is exactly what I needed…Was it just the type of noise you used?

Another follow up question with the same setup…Imagine if each cube needed to move from its position to the position of another cube, but without interesection (a bit like a “slide” from one position to the next).  How would you accomplish something like that?  I was trying this with the shader effector affecting the x/y/z axis, but I can’t guarantee no intersections/overlap.  In fact what I’m trying to do is almost a “re-arranging” of all the cubes in the grid without them touching each other…

Thanks!

Posted: 21 October 2018 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Alex,

I pretty much moved the noise though the clone space. Think of the noise as a clouds which moves. If the cloud is dense, the effect is different than to a clear space among the clouds. In other words, I used only the movement .
I typically start over with the Effectors, delete the one that I found and replace it. Here I set the Noise to a hight contrast as well.

BTW, the simples way to compare to object of the same kind, select both, (here by copying the old one into the new scene). If the settings/parameters are the same, they show up normally, if not you will see it, e.g., with a dash instead of a number.

Do remember these little pocked puzzles with the squares, there was always a gap. (The Sam Loyd Sliding Block Puzzle). This gap is needed to move a square. Nothing else is given with this 4by4 cube. One cube, perhaps in the center must go for the time the movement happens. One cube can be moved at the time, or maximum three in a row. There is at the moment no idea how to do that with a few clicks. Besides: Since they get transparent, I’m not certain where to start with, witch cube to take out. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 21 October 2018 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2012-01-05

Got it, I never use the movement…I suppose there isn’t a looping period for it?

And for the other question, yeah it’s tricky..It’s almost as if a noise was moving all cubes around, which could be a possibility, but indeed hard to tell how to manage the order of those things…

Thanks again!

Posted: 21 October 2018 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I tried several methods now, Alex.

If we go with the one cube-gap, then the best way to do it, so far I can tel, is just to play the puzzle. Select the cube, set a keyframe, move time and cube, set set a new keyframe. Next cube the same. This is absolute control and the fastest way forward. I tried with the L System, and just by drawing a Spline, not a lot of luck - time wise. I tried to use a spline, drawn with snapping in a 3D grid to get via target effector (next node) a direction, but is boils all down to a lot of time. Manually is here the way to go.
Another try was to move a single cube (each time forwarding the time slider) in increments, the key would be to have no position in the cube keyed twice.
etc, etc, etc. Right now, to do it manually is the fastest way.

Cheers

Signature 

NEW: