A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Relative Position
Posted: 21 December 2016 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2010-04-18

Relative Position

I have a series of lights with their position value animated.  They travel in a straight line one-after-another. When I group them in a Null object and rotate the Null it affects the position of the lights (they no longer move in a straight line).

Why would the absolute position of the null affect the relative position of the lights? Any suggestions?

Posted: 21 December 2016 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi marcpurcell,

Did you use the short cut to group them or a fresh Null and use this Null as child?

When ever there is a animation the Group Short cut should be avoided.

Anyway, do you have this set up, just the four light and the Null, and could you share it?

If you animate objects in their position, the position is based on the “c4d-world”, which is the master parent to everything. The zero point of the “c4d-world” is then used. In the moment the objects will be placed under a parent, the parents position is the zero point of “their world” (parent world) and not longer the “C4D-world”.

So, if one uses the group short cut (It takes the average position of all—which I always suggest to forget and not get used to it at all!), the parent will, if not as well on zero for PSR, chage or even destroy the animation. Again, just don’t use the group short cut. I think I saw a new approach somewhere, but I forgot where.

If you like to place animated objects under another object, place that new parent object to the world zero point Position 0, 0, 0; Scale 1, 1, 1; Rotation 0, 0, 0. Then move the parent, the children will follow of course that movement then. While the parent is on zero, this parent can be then moved under any object, in any position or rotation.

All the best

P.S.: …the main idea is of course that this allows to move objects like a car, without animating all the parts (e.g., doors) each time individually, as they are children. Perhaps that clears it.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 23 December 2016 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2010-04-18

Thank you. I did group them using the short cut method.

Follow up question - I’m a high school teacher. The question you responded to relates to a project for my grade 11 students. I’m using a series of lights to represent laser cannon shot. Do you have a better method?

Thank you and Happy Holidays

Marc Purcell

Posted: 23 December 2016 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Marc Purcell,

You’re welcome. Honestly, I cringe each time when I hear this short cut is mentioned, as it becomes a habit and close to a deadline – a deadly habit…
Since I believe creativity needs space, shortcuts often take that little needed “breather” away. Just a thought.

I hope your students have fun with your content. You know that I write here for a forum and go mostly more detailed in my answer than the one who has asked might have need it, hence it is a forum.

Your question, well, there is a lot of options to do that, even splines and hair comes to mind.

But yes, a real light source is often the key, as I have seen it now over twenty+ years in light saber scenes, that the strongest light in the scene is not affecting the context at all.

Since you teach, I share just the file that I have set up for you and I guess you get the ideas instantly.

Anyway, please asks, if there is anything else or not clear.

Apply glow if needed.

All the best

Scene file. (… updated to four examples)
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/JJWTHWMlIOU9cdfqCWhChRR26DIpO3u554VGmcy1HP5?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

The blue one takes an object and use it as Area light
The red example adjusts the near and far clip over time
The green version uses an animated gradient for the alpha channel
The yellow ligth is just an Area set to “line’. which are practically just omnilights light in a row (samples)

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]