A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Speed up c4d with lot of objects
Posted: 25 November 2015 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2012-12-28

I have so many mesh objects in a city model that c4d is slow. (Slow to do everything, not just move the viewport.) (it takes 20 seconds just to make a selection, or change tools)  I’ve tried to add them all to a layer and turn everything off. I’ve tried to turn the traffic lights off for all of them with CV tools.  I can’t imagine what else to try…..BUt is there no way to keep them from being calculated?

Your help is appreciated.
thanks.

Posted: 25 November 2015 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Ehmie,

If you place Polygon objects on Layers, you need to shut off more than the visibility. Typically the solo option should help a lot, if you use many Layers and solo only one.

My tip, go to the Editor View>>Option>Configure All>>Attribute manager>HUD>Frames Per Second (enable). this gives you a Screen redraw, frames per second. The Lower it gets, the more the machine has to work. In that option you can also check on the HUD> Open GL Statistics, to check what is currently working inside your scene.

Now you can check what really kills your performance.

Dependent on what area you machine has the bottle neck, it might help to even switch textures off.

As you work already in Polygon mode, the main tip is of course to check if your models are optimal, in other words have too much points and edges with no quality improvement.

Is the City Build with MoGraph,—switch parts off. Even polygon models, which are in some way newly generated, will lower the performance.

Perhaps separate what is only during rendering needed, and link it to XREF. So you can easily switch that off.

Normally there is more, but as you mentioned, it is about polygon objects, I hope to have given you already some tips.

In the way you have set up your preview will also influence your scene.

In the Editor View>Display, you might find some settings that lowers the performance as well. I’m not certain how much Back-Face Culling will help here, make tests.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 26 November 2015 03:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: A little bit with delay, but the Amazon server had some hick-ups today, so I wasn’t able to paste the link in the post above.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/Z7wbainaancsGqkhe6iRWtdS6IG8Pf4IYSgmH6ZfacV?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Keep in mind that any numbers visible in this one minute clip are dependent on the configuration of my “machine” and as well as on any background activities running (screen-capture of a 5K screen is not a little task for example)
having said that, take a little time to observe what happens, I have the feeling that sometimes values are different for the same set up, perhaps based on caching. So, if you see something positive happens, try it again.

In the Layer Browser I switch all off, just in case, but often that is not needed. To know these little symbols is certainly a time saver.

Again, it is a long theme and often discussed in the past decade here alone. I have limit my tips to Polygon based scenes. Sometimes parts of a city can be rendered and re-projected on simple geometry. In my movie JET I had build a city out of thousands of buildings and the further away they were, the less details were given by polygons. (The Series JET is here on Cineversity, based on a 35mm/cinemascope movie I did a few years back)

If you have more data to share, perhaps I can be more specific.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 22 January 2016 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2012-12-28

Thanks for this…(i actually didn’t see it)

I have consolidated my scene into xrefs which seems to be the most help to getting things worked on quickly.

In your videos (refs part 2), we see a different animation ability than I see in r17 (the ability to retime the animation by frame number) now that seems gone, and replaced by a non-animatable “frame number” unless “animation” is checked on…in which case I only see offset and scale.

How would I te-time animation of an xref forward and backward?

thank you for your help.

Posted: 22 January 2016 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Ehmie,

As you use the X-Ref for limiting the load of your “master” scene, animate in the “source” scene the parts you need. If you don’t like to change things there, you can use a Time-Track. Which can go, e.g., from 100%-0%. This Time-Track can be added to the Attribute Manager field of the keyframe-track. If you click in the Timeline on the little film strip of that time track it will have no influence if grayed out (=off).
(Timeline>>Create>AddSpecial Tracks>Time Track—consider Relative Mapping).
This leaves all in one place, and you have not to deal with eventual conflicting data.

Animating as in R12…
The options are there, the option to animate the parameters are back when the Generator checkbox is checked. However, since I try not to write how I think it works, I checked it first in R17, then in R16, and even reading the manual again, I can’t make sense currently out of it. Hence my delay in my reply. The parameter shows no interpolation in the F-Curve, so I guess the animation options is accidental? Perhaps check with the support if that is a project/time critical feature for you. The Frame is the reference frame and the offset seams to be based on the first given value, so no inverse option for all version I have tried here.
http://www.maxon.net/support/support-questions.html

BTW, in the Menu>>Editor View>Options>Configure All>>Attribute Manager>Display>Inactive Objects, you have perhaps as well an lift the weight of you work a little bit. Just a thought.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Custom logo in UI ››