A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Thinking Particles, Priority
Posted: 20 August 2014 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2014-06-09

Hm… The video in this one is a bit weird.  Screen appears zoomed in on random spots and doesn’t focus on what’s going on—namely the xpresso editor.  Makes it difficult to follow an important lesson, especially near the end.

Posted: 20 August 2014 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jerome Olivier,

That was a test, during that time we had no idea that HD would be soon a standard for tutorials. As you might see, these magnification areas have even a shadow. I haven’t used this later on so much, and today I would be really careful to magnify anything at all, as we have the tutorials currently close to 1:1.

Yes, I know 4K screens will be standard soon, we will see if that will find its way as well to tutorials, as many people will watch on an iPad or something like that, and HD will be just fine. (... working here with 6K files and Japan discuss 8K broadcasting…, so HD is the new SD ;o)

Sorry about your experience.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 20 August 2014 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09

Thank you, Sassi.  I understand.

Just to make sure I’m getting the lesson, let’s assume the following are all set to [removed]see attachment if not clear):

null 01: priority 0 (PStorm sends particles to Group.1)
null 02: priority 1 (PPass sends particles to Group.2 & Shape2)
null 03: priority 1 (PPass sends particles to Group.3 & Shape3)
null 04: priority 0 (PPass send particles to Group.4 & Shape4)

1. In this scenario, the particles end up in Group.4 and with Shape4 because the order of execution (in this case the particles) pass under null02 and null03.  Priorities set the order of execution on a level by level basis, starting with the lowest number and working its way up.

2. The confusion comes from having things execute out of order, which is why it is strongly recommended to place objects in the object manager in a logical way so that everything executes in a linear fashion.  Changing priorities should only be used if stacking objects in the object manager in a linear fashion is impossible or too difficult.

3. This is why using nulls to place xPresso tags at the top of the hierarchy is often used.

Are all of the above correct?

Thank you for your time and diligence with all of my questions.

Yours,

Jerome

File Attachments
tp 06 (Priority).c4d.zip  (File Size: 45KB - Downloads: 214)

Posted: 20 August 2014 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for asking, Jerome Olivier.

During the tutorial the priorities change.

The lesson that I would like to have taken from this lesson is that there is a hierarchy in the “position” as well as based on the Priority of the parts. I think that is certainly received.

The position will not be more important than the priority, hence its existence, to get an option to set this. The reason could be that we need to place an object in a hierarchy (e.g., character or technical animation)

The higher priority works on the end of the frame, so it has the “last word” in it. BUT (!) if the particles were already directed in a new group, the higher priority XPresso tag has nothing to receive anymore, the lower priority was faster, and snapped all the particles away. having the last word is only nice when you have an audience, figural speaking.
This is the point I wanted to bring across. Sorry when I present this here more like an artist, to constantly request attention. The confusion is here used a little bit to get exactly this question “What is going on here”, it is so easy to listen to a tutorial and nod once in a while, the illusion of agreement, as I call it. So, your question is perfect here. You might never forgot that lesson, ;o)

1. exactly, so the highest priority overwrites the lower ones, if there is something left. Like the mice have eaten the bread before the farmer comes home… ;o)

2. the Object Manager should work like a todo list. It is often not that visible in the editor view, as this view is nearly constantly updated/refreshed to allow working in it without pressing the “A” key. During rendering that is not a given, hence the need to be careful. If something is not available (information) the next frame will be used. This can cascade to a delay of many frames!

3. Yes, so the Xpresso tag is free in its position.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 20 August 2014 01:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09
Dr. Sassi - 20 August 2014 01:23 AM

You might never forgot that lesson, ;o)

Well, I hope I remember ALL of your lessons for a long time and if I don’t, I’ll just come back and take a refresher. 8^)

Posted: 20 August 2014 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Jerome Olivier, don’t worry, if something goes wrong, you will remember it. With that comes repetition, and with repetition comes certainty. Just trust yourself, and never believe anyone that it is difficult, it might be for him or her, but assuming that it is difficult is the first step for failure. So, scratch that, and look forward to what can be done. :o)

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 20 August 2014 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09

Wise words.  I’ll follow them.  Thank you.

Posted: 20 August 2014 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Jerome Olivier, and thank you as well. :o)

Signature 

NEW: