A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

How to accurately replace the loss of Physical Render’s “indirect illumination” in R15 animation rendering.
Posted: 31 October 2013 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-02-01

Hi

I’ve just finished composing and uploading a tutorial suggestion about this but I’m hoping I’m missing something obvious that can be solved here! In a nutshell here a problem with R15 as I see it (think I’m not alone!), you may have a simple answer for me!

In R14 and earlier I would simply select the Physical render engine, turn on “Indirect Illumination” and know that all I needed to tweak to balance speed vs quality was the sampling options…. using the presets either “medium” and “high” and changing nothing else. Render times were manageable and I ALWAYS knew what kind if results to expect. Regardless of lighting, number of objects, camera moves. I simply don’t have the knowledge, time or rendering firepower to create a scene then trouble-shoot the GI to get the desired results every time. What am I doing wrong?

many thanks 8o)

Posted: 31 October 2013 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

The “indirect illumination” option was simply QMC, and because of that the option was removed to try and eliminate redundancy.

The presets that come with CINEMA are only “recommendations”
The key here is that the presets are geared towards cache based GI methods.

What you need to do is when you want to add GI is to add the GI post effect.
Then set the primary Method to “Quasi-Monte Carlo (QMC)”

Now if you want to set bounces then you set a secondary method.
To mimic the bounces in the old “Indirect Illumination” mode you need to set the secondary method to QMC as well.

Next is sampling.
Set this to custom sample count.

start by setting this value to match the “sampling subdivision” in the physical render attributes.
At this point if you wanted to simulate the old “Indirect subdivisions” you simply increase the sample count in the GI attributes.

I suggest checking out: http://www.cineversity.com/forums/viewthread/1126/
As there is currently a discussion about cached GI going on there…it would be handy to read.

Posted: 31 October 2013 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-02-01

Hi Patrick - thanks very much for that it makes total sense, and scaleable so I can start to play around too.

That’s exactly what I was after, I know what I’ll be spending my weekend doing and i can run a test on a troublesome scene tonight too. 8o)

Thanks a million 8o)

Posted: 31 October 2013 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

No problem :D

The Indirect Illumination was a “happy accident” of sorts when the physical renderer was developed, and eventually this was just merged directly into the QMC GI method.

It makes it a little heavier to get into at first, but in the end offers a lot more control.

one thing you can do is create a render setting preset that way it makes managing the effect a little easier.