A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Migrate all settings to new version
Posted: 05 September 2013 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-01-10

Hello there,

I’ve received R15 yesterday and installed it. In R14 I have installed some plugins, changed some preferences and have added own things to the Content Browser.

Does anyone have good tips how I can migrate all these things the easiest way?

Thanks,

Erik

Posted: 05 September 2013 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Erik,

I set up the preferences all the time fresh, with a new installation. Which I have to do quite often. I’m not aware of a transfer function from an previous release to the current.

Plug Ins are sometimes in need for an update, as well as a new serial number is required from time to time. I wouldn’t just copy and paste those, but perhaps it might work in some cases (there are too many plug ins available to say anything with certainty, not knowing someones specific mix.)

If you create your own presets for the content browser, I would keep them on your disk in a specific folder. This folder can be accessed directly from the Content Browser. You can also copy this folder (Content Browser> Edit> Copy) and then create a new catalog/folder and paste this folder into it. To my knowledge, this will only copy the “path” to the folder. I suggest this, as you keep a folder on you disk that you can copy anywhere if you work for someone else on their equipment. (Copy from r14 to past r15 will not work, so far my tests) There are other options. But I hesitate to repeat the manual here ;o)

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 05 September 2013 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-01-10

Thanks Sassi, specially the part on the content browser will help.

All the best

Erik

Posted: 05 September 2013 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Erik,

Thanks for the nice feedback, my contribution was rather little. But I think the Content Browser needs certainly a detailed exploration in the future, especially with an eye on moving to the new release.

Your question is in tune with many questions I got privately as well, not limited to C4D. Based on some experiences, I love clean installments, fresh and up-to-date. Yes it is more work, but I have the feeling that short cuts show their dark sides only an hour before deadlines (hehe). Which is of course one point when we as artist get the most attention from everyone I guess. So, I feel then like the “math and science” teacher, dry and stubborn, to suggest to avoid shortcuts, like moving old stuff around.

My best wishes and thanks for the question.

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]