A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

How to create a bunch of objects in random locations in a scene
Posted: 21 March 2013 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-10-09

Hello,

Curious if there is a way to create a quick asteroid field or a scene with a bunch of molecules.  I looked at Cloner and using a Particle Emitter, but don’t see some of the familiar control tools that I have in After Effects/Particular.  Basically what I would like to have is a way to spread out some modeled objects that I have into the scene with random locations, rotations, etc. for each object.  And I would like to have the objects move slowly in a random pattern.  Think of flying through an asteroid field, where each asteroid spins differently and moves slowly.  Cloner allows me to create an array, but they are numerically exact and not randomly placed and I don’t see how to control each object separately.

I would appreciate anyone’s thoughts or advice.  I have R14 Studio.

Thanks,

Troy

Posted: 21 March 2013 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Troy,

Besides Linear, Radial and Grid, you have the option to use an object as base for your distribution.

This object can be used for several options. Even better, you can use a 2D or a 3D object in it.

Anything can be random there as well, or randomized with and Random Effector.

The movement (is there any?) can be achieved in many ways, with the time effector or if the objects have already keyframes, via Step Effector.

To get this all a little bit more random, you use the random effector to feed only weight into it, and exclude the weight of the e.g., Time Effector.

I would animate the “Disc” (see attached scene-file) instead of animating the “chunk” for the movement, perhaps a little bit, but the oration might random/time based. I have perhaps overdone it here, to make it “visible”. Instead of a “Disc”, the Helix Spline can be used, which distributes things differently. Depends on you needs and what you like to work with.

Alternative you stick with Radial and use an Random Effector for the main “chaos”.

Test the use of Render Instances (Cloner Object) for your scene!!!

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r14_drs_13_ANsf_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 69KB - Downloads: 168)
CV2_r14_drs_13_ANsf_13.zip  (File Size: 697KB - Downloads: 175)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 23 March 2013 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S. the same set up, this time with the Helix I mentioned above. (Movement too fast, for demo purposes, as well the amount set to 1024 only to have the scene not slowed down. I suggest smaller objects and more of them.) If you need more ideas for the variety of shapes, let me know.
file 11 with few, file 12 with some more chunks+one random effector for a different distribution.

File Attachments
CV2_r14_drs_13_ANsf.zip  (File Size: 124KB - Downloads: 188)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]