A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Problem when grouping an animated null
Posted: 13 March 2013 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2010-11-01

Heres one for the animators/riggers,

Had this problem a few times before so time to finally figure out the proper way of doing it.  Have got a simple scene with a cube rotating on an edge before moving off screen.  Rather than change the axis point of the cube, i find it cleaner to group the cube under a null that is centered on the edge in question.  All works fine, except now the client wants to add another rotation before the start.  So it will rotate on the first edge, then rotate again on the next edge and then the cube goes off screen.

So the way i thought to fix it is to create a second null at the center of the other edge, but when i group it, it messes up the current animation.  I know its because when you group something the coordinates of the child change to reflect the fact that its a child of the parent, however if you’ve got animation on that child already then it messes it up.

So in my scene i want to group pivotA under animB (sorry for the poor naming) without changing the animation.  Is this possible?  Is there somekind of workaround or way of grouping without changing the coordinates of the animation?  Obviously would have been easier to have done this if i’d know in advance but as always clients like to change stuff. : )

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/85020990/AnimProblem.c4d

Posted: 13 March 2013 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Rich,

Set it neutral then influence it. Here is how it works:

Take a Null at PSR World Zero for P and R and 1 for scale. (I have an icon from the character tools—Reset PSR—always in my layout for projects)
Normally a Null arrives there after calling, except you have set the prefs differently.

Animations will be not destroyed if placed under a such a Null. So the Animation is save. Now place your Null (B) where ever you like. Then drag the new “zeroed” Null under Null (B).
Animate Null (B) as you like, leave the zeroed Null untouched.

This is of course only the way to go if the Null (A) is already animated.

An alternative would be to work with constrains and hand over the animation when needed.

Mixed Null riggs have the advantage to split animation, and set up complicated moves more easily. Which a small side effect, the animation path is split as well, + or - is the question here.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 14 March 2013 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2010-11-01

Thanks Dr Sassi,

yes Reset PSR is the best command ever, so useful.

And thanks for the help.  Knew there had to be a way, hadn’t thought of using an extra null in there.

Many thanks!

Posted: 14 March 2013 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome Rich!

Yes, one of the best: the Reset PSR.

Have a nice evening

Sassi

P.S.: Sometimes a Morph PSR is all you need, just as an alternative for short extra moves.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]