A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

1 of 2
Dr. Sassi Tutorials?
Posted: 27 January 2013 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2008-03-29

Hey guys,
Just wondering if the Dr. Sassi tutorials mentioned at Siggraph will be going up any time soon?  Also, Dr. Sassi, wondering if you would consider posting some of them elsewhere?  I’m sure many would find them very helpful.  I know it’s a very small team running Cineversity and getting all the videos up may be too large a task, but it seems a shame for all that training to not be released.

Thank you for your consideration
Biagio

Signature 

We make TV and film, and podcast about it.
Joke Productions - company site
Producing Unscripted - podcast and blog about unscripted television
Joke and Biagio - filmmaking blog

Posted: 27 January 2013 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

They are reviewed and ready. Just waiting for the thumbs up to hit release. I believe there is a PR announcement that needs to be finished before we launch…although I’m not sure where that sits on the PR persons queue of work. (They handle PR for more than just CV).
I can check-in on monday to see where that sits.
I do know that we will be spreading the release out over a few weeks…as there is quite a lot of material.

Posted: 27 January 2013 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2008-03-29

Thanks so much for the good news, Patrick.  As you know, I’ve been keeping an eye out for awhile.  So glad to know they’ll be up soon.  Please let PR know we’re all very excited to see them grin

Best,
Biagio

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2013 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you Biagio for your ongoing interest. Very nice of you and certainly appreciated. I look as well toward their release, as each series helps me as well to adjust my direction (more or less) in the future, but only if they are public. I listen carefully here and during trade shows. I do not think that anything can be done over and over again in the same way. In that way I have to take some risks and that needs feedback.

You’re right, during Siggraph I quoted the information I was given. I have already finished several other series, so: I hope after updating Cineversity from v1 to v2 successfully last year, and got the streaming running (thank you admin team), to get now back into the a shorter produce-release cycle. So far the waiting time was a real world test of my motivation, and I think I have passed this test. ;o)

I have no plans to post them anywhere else, as I have had our members in mind while producing them. Each platform is different and I certainly would handle things differently for other “systems”. I like the admin team, the mood and the trust inside of this fantastic base, and I hope this is palpable in the material that will be online soon.
Have a great Sunday
Sassi

Thank you Patrick for the update, my own info was two weeks old. :o)

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 27 January 2013 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2008-03-29

Thank you, Dr. Sassi.  The topics you are covering are exactly what I’m looking for. I’ve been doing many (most) of the VFX shots on our shows, and using photography and camera mapping has become part of my toolbox…but I’m sure I’m just scratching the surface.  I’d like to do a lot more, and I feel your tutorials are exactly the thing I’m looking for.  I was worried that maybe Cineversity was no longer going to post them, but glad to hear from Patrick that they are coming along.  I truly hope to see some very soon.  My membership here expires soon, but if your tutorials (and other more VFX tuts) start populating Cineversity I will definitely renew.

All the best,
Biagio

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2013 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks again Biagio!

I believe of course deeply in a good base for 3D as part of a successful project work in e.g., VFX.
What I have learned since the early ‘90s, this (3D focused) base might not be enough to connect with anything in the pipeline of a production.
As you said you do a lot of VFX and photography (I assume that covers these days easily still and motion) and I think that is a very useful part of the work. I can’t stress enough how useful “Photography” knowledge is in the 3D production. I hope I will be able to show the similarities and the differences in both this year. It sounds perhaps partially weird, but practical (live) and 3D/4D (virtual) set ups have significant different ways of creating results. I notice that this is not always really factored into the work itself. The more one is aware of it (similarities/differences), the better both worlds (live/virtual) melt to a successful product.
The better each part of the production connects to each other, the more successful each artist is. I have to focus here predominately on CINEMA 4D of course, which I like a lot, but my other passions will hopefully elevate my work here (I hope that sounds not like bragging). Even today, I follow a long an “In Depth Color Science” web-seminar from Charles Poynton. I believe in research, and I do it deeply to create my stuff here on a good base.

I hope the waiting will be worth it, ... crossing my fingers. :o)
Thank you.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 01 February 2013 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-10-15

Thanks JokeandBiagio for asking for the long awaited Dr. Sassi tutorials.  I’m looking forward to them, so I can finally get my head around camera mapping and projection man.

PR - please help those of us, who are in need of Dr. Sassi’s tutorials, as fast as you can.  Thank you a million times.

Doug

Signature 

Doug Marshall smileys/smiley36.gif

Posted: 01 February 2013 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks Doug for your interest :o)

I hope things run smoothly soon.

The first load of over 200 tutorials will contain a lot of “Making Of” or lets call it discussed examples from my movie short: Camera mapping in many flavors.

The complete course about Camera mapping will arrive later. So, please let me me know your questions in the Forum! This technique is as simple or complex as you like, based on your targets. But once you get one time through an project, you certainly start thinking inside of that great option. Simple: it is just one more projection method. Complex, you can create complete feature film environments with it. Even (texture) animations support a simple green-screen actor shot toward an full SciFi city for example.

In the music video link (see below) I have used as well camera mapping. Yes, the “Making Of” of this clip is already recorded as well. I tried here to use only techniques that I can explain here very fast. I hope the clip is not too boring, as it is certainly not a Rock or techno beat driven song.

Again, fire up questions and I hope you will enjoy this option a lot. The more advanced course (later this year), where I go into each little detail to gain the most out of it and established the best quality, is certainly beyond a forums talk. There is so much more and I can’t wait to share it!!! An very important series, which covers a lot of concerns about image quality, is given in the “Integrations Course”. There are the key themes discussed, which I use later on for the camera-mapping course roughly in a similar way. Integration Course, crossing the fingers - very soon here! ;o)

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 02 February 2013 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2008-03-29

Right there with you, Doug.  I’ve been using camera mapping a lot in our shows, mostly for cool titles set in environments, but also to fake an occasional establishing shot.  However, I’m sure I’m just scratching the surface, and a big part of staying a Cineversity member is in anticipation of these tuts.  Like you, I’m hoping PR gets on board soon.

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2013 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you Biagio,

Very nice of you. Do you have a link to some of the work you did? Since this show is already in Season 2, you must have quite a “reel” of your work. Would be nice to see it :o)

I hope the expectations are not too high, when I hear you ;o)

The first batch of 212 tutorials will have every scene from my movie short, where I tried for each one a different technique (to get this series interesting for Cineversity), but keep the continuity. In the next “pile” of tutorials (currently in work, half way through and again over 200) I have HDRI, Panorama, Making of (De Los Angeles) and Camera Mapping in depth.

After that is done, I hope I can share the next music video, where I hope to combine some SteadiCamâ„¢/RED/Camera-mapping transitions. Based on another music video, that I only do as production based material exclusively for Cineversity. The concept and the mood boards are done. Crossing the fingers that the musicians are with me on that. So far I have avoided too much post production to keep it simple here, this one will have a lot. As it is a mixture of “times”, so I put alone a nice “Vintage-Set” of lenses together (Zeiss, Yashica, etc.).

My productions are always based on the idea to build up a nice long series for our production artists here. Will say, just stuff that has worked in conjunction with live footage, which I think is always the toughest test of CG.

The more questions I get in the forum—the more I “know” (or at least believe to know) what is needed here. I did a long analysis here. I categorized the question in the forum and the “tutorial requests” over a son of years! Funny enough, that didn’t matched at all. I do not underestimate any feedback here, though.

So I hope this will be an exciting year :o)

Have a great weekend

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 02 February 2013 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Joined  2008-03-29

So nice of you to ask, Dr. Sassi.  I did all the VFX (some better than others!) in our new BIO show GHOST INSIDE MY CHILD.  You can see a few of the vfx shots in the promo here:

http://www.jokeproductions.com/ghost-inside-my-child/

I will post up some of the camera mapping shots next week when we get back to to offices…though they can’t really compete with what you do grin

It is unusual for an Executive Producer to pitch in VFX, but I came up editing and doing gfx when budgets were tight. Now, thanks to C4D and it’s easy learning curve, i’ve been able to up the production value of our shows quite a bit. 

Scream Queens has been over for a while now, but I’m glad you got to see the Behind the Scenes video!  It was a lot of fun making the show.  (If anyone else wants to see the video, it’s here:  https://vimeo.com/13337751 )

Your tutorials sound great, and I think we’re all very excited to see them.  I will aso post more specific questions here.

All the best,
Biagio

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2013 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you very much for the links, Biagio. I went directly and watched them (Very nice work, congratulations), as well some other topics on your website. Very nice. I had no idea that you are as well in L.A. :o)

Yes I saw 2010 for the Scream Queen 2, (hehe, first “scream queen” then “Screen Queen”).

I look forward to the other links.

I never have seen my work to be in competition with anything else, as my focus is as well on the educational value of the material (which is not a production concern for studios of course). It is a different beast to tame if you like to get “production and education” inside of the same content. I certainly have tons of respect that you split your targets in producing and VFX creation. Which is like playing chess with yourself, something like that.

Yes, I look forward to every question, as I’m certainly interested in improving my “stuff”. Which is not possible when I work like in a black box. Answering since 2004 roughly on a daily basis has given me already a ice idea what to do, but everything is changing constantly, and “stuff’ has a half value time in this business. :o)

Enjoy your weekend, and I’m certainly impressed :o) Thanks for that.

Sassi

Little previews: :o)
https://plus.google.com/110784099379805584044/videos

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 04 February 2013 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

The first part of the series is now live. Integration can be found at: https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/integration1

Posted: 04 February 2013 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks Patrick for all your work, as well thanks to Paul, Rick and Andy for the support of these tutorials.

I’m happy to share this link:
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/2/prweb10389851.htm

So, back to work, the next pile of 200+ tutorials are in production.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 05 February 2013 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I have explained the structure of the first series “Integration 101” here:

http://www.cineversity.com/forums/viewthread/914/

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 08 February 2013 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Joined  2008-03-29

Great news!  Thanks so much Patrick and Dr. Sassi… looks a like a good part of my weekend will be spent with Dr. Sassi’s voice floating through the living room!  So pleased to see the news.  Thanks for getting the new tutorials up, and very, very excited to dive in.

All the best,
Biagio

Signature 

1 of 2