A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Texture flickering problem
Posted: 25 January 2013 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-11-13

Hi,

I have a problem with texture flicker.
The texture flickering on the tube and clips doesn’t go away.

I tried many other options, but I couldn’t find a solution.
I tried a few different GI modes and set up the different level of the anti-aliasing.

and I attached file with screen shots of the setting..

Please please, let me know the what is wrong with the setting..

Thanks!!

File Attachments
flicker.mov  (File Size: 247KB - Downloads: 320)

Posted: 25 January 2013 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey digitalimagingSVA,

As there is no scene file, would you mind to render this one time with out GI?

It looks more like reflections to me (Caustics perhaps?) I really can’t tell. You might take the texture out and see (my assumption) that it is not based on the texture (image) at all.

If you can’t change a thing, perhaps motion blur is needed.

Best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 26 January 2013 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2012-11-13

Thanks for the response.

Here is the render file without GI. It looks fine without GI.
I think the GI setting is a problem maybe??

Tnx.

File Attachments
withoutGI.mov  (File Size: 187KB - Downloads: 278)

Posted: 26 January 2013 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi digitalimagingSVA,

This gives already a lot to exclude, but without the scene-file, it leaves me with guess work.

My next step would be, to exclude the two clamps to generate any GI, they are black and my impression is it could be caustics that you see there. Guesswork again and I never found that to be a good way to do.

My way is normally to exclude parts of the scene, and see what happen, if I can’t tell directly what it is.

With your second rendering, it shows already a direction. To exclude texture and GI at the same time might work here, but creates some uncertainty.

IF the clamps have to produce caustic (if my assumption is correct at all ;o) then this needs like most animations a proper motion blur.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 28 January 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2012-11-13

Hey Sassi,
This is so great. Can I send you a dropbox link to the project with all the files, via email - I do not want everyone on this forum to see the project, as it is now, so lets connect via regular mail. Cool? If so, email me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

THX SO much!

Posted: 28 January 2013 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I will have a look into that. I have send you an PM (I assume you know that option here in Cineversity. I use it for sending links. I do not use it for questions or such—as I believe in the advantages for everyone in the Forum.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 28 January 2013 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I have rendered the part frames from 45-65 (on the 30fps timeline, note that your project is set up with 30fps and the output to 24fps)

I have set AA to none to get my results faster, and used the 3rd render-settings that you have set up, the “tubejpeg” as that was the only one with animation enabled for GI.

There is no flickering in my render, have a look [link below]. I have attached a jpeg sequence, as this was your settings, I do not recommend at all jpeg as render format, but you certainly have your reasons. The scene is pretty “high key”, and jpeg as a gamma based 8bit/c format is pretty thin when it comes to values above middle gray. Any color correction might suffer from that decision.

My suggestion, I would certainly switch off any “Generate Gi” for the two clamps that move out of the tube. Furthermore, I do not see a reason (?) to have refractive caustics on.

Perhaps the Support might have a different answer, especially as they have more render power to test things out.

I haven’t checked all parts of your scene, but most of them are more or less default, perhaps a different sample density might help (Patrick’s input).
By using the material luminance channel quite a lot, you take a severe part of the “illumination” TO the objects away. Again, everyone has his/her own ideas about scene set up, and I certainly think you have an idea why you work that way.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=qKDYKu47QGEvwINMjFr_bw

P.S.: I as it is mostly in that tube, focus on that one, perhaps take it out from GI and illuminate it with an area light, if time is an issue. With all the Luminance information all over the place the amount of GI inside you scene seems of minor priority. Well, I might be wrong :o)

Signature 

NEW: