A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

misbehaving cloth cache
Posted: 10 October 2012 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2006-07-27

Hello,

I have a pretty simple setup for this one.  I am animating the ribbon transducer in a microphone tearing under extreme load.  I have set up a very basic simulation with cloth,  the tear function and a couple of colliders.  It’s working well enough, but when I then attempt to cache the solution so I can render on the network, the cache is not respecting the tear, so I instead get this huge deformation, which is not what i want.

Is there a known issue in R13 with the cloth cache and the tear function?  Is there a work around, or something I am possibly missing?

Again, the simulation works fine until I cache it.

Thanks for any input,
- Will

Signature 

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Posted: 10 October 2012 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Will,

As I have no scene file here, no idea. Bit try to cache your result with the Tags> Character>Point Cache. Perhaps that works better. Deactivate the Cloth Tag after caching.

Other than that, you might use Cappucino to store a PLA animation. Cloth off after that as well.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 12 October 2012 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2006-07-27

Hello Dr. Sassi,

Thanks as always for your input.  I just wanted to update the thread with my latest findings. 

I didn’t try a Point Cache, but I did try Cappucino prior to posting.  Cappucino gave me the same results as the Cloth Cache, as did the TCA Studio’s PLA Mate plugin.  All 3 do record accurately the PLA date for the ribbon geometry, but not the separation of the geometry which results from the ‘Tear’ function of the Cloth Engine.

I was told by a veteran respected poster on another forum that the Tear function has never been cache-able with C4D’s tools, but I did learn that XREC, which is the companion plugin to PLA Mate in the free and extremely useful SteadyBAKE plugin suite from TCA Studios will create a cache that respects the tear.  Lennart, the creator of said plugins was able to create a basic setup and have it work, and his setup was essentially the same as mine. 

For my part, I ended up rendering the scene on a single machine that night, and am presently trying to finish out the rest of the movie, which will be my 113th and final movie for this course.  I plan on testing Lennart’s solution next week, when I am out if these weeds and back to a normal routine.  I’ll report back with my results.

Hopefully, if anyone else is having this issue, they will stumble upon this thread and find its contents useful.

Cheers
- Will

Signature 

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Posted: 12 October 2012 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Will,

As usual, an example scene would have made that clear. If it is torn, you need perhaps two files that are separated at that edge, or at least done with selections tags and textures.

I will make certain that I get a scene file next time, I obviously did not saw that you had a problem with the separation, I thought that the points are not recording well.

So, please an example file next time, as that is better than long text information.

Best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]