A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Camera Calibrator Tag - no “Add Pin” option?
Posted: 18 September 2012 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-05-28

I’m using a camera calibrator tag, which I’ve used successfully a few times, but right now it isn’t giving me the option to “Add Pin” or “Delete Pin” - and I’m wondering what conditions might cause that.  Does the calibration status need to be more “green” before a pin is an option?

Posted: 18 September 2012 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Newtmich,

Interesting, never had that, even I have run into some stuff that I would call User Error (mine in this case).

So, I tried to disable the option for the pin, and the only one I have found so far is given when the Editor Window, where the image is located, is not active. Click on the top bar to bring it back active.

In my example the line and grid are grayed out as well as option. Which means that would be an indicator for that case.

What ever happens, is it not working in a fresh started app as well?

BTW, there is always the option to set ONE pin, if done then the delete is available—except in your case, perhaps there are other options to fail, which I don’t know yet.

Do you mind to share that file? With a small jpg of your image?

Edit, I found another option, if the Attribute Manager is locked (to keep the current content) and when then the CC tag is deselected, it is in-active completely as well. Similar to that if it is on layer and this layer is locked. Either way, if the circle in the scene is not selected, the function is not available/edit

All the best

Sassi

P.S.: if nothing helps so far, perhaps that is a case for the support!

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 18 September 2012 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2007-05-28

Thanks Dr Sassi - I just realized I also am not on the latest patch - let me update first and see if that helps.  I opened another file where I had set the pin, and both pin buttons are greyed out.  I’ll let you know and if I have the problem I’ll send you the associated files directly.  Thanks!

Posted: 18 September 2012 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You have the circle (pin) selected in the scene, right? It should be orange.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 18 September 2012 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2007-05-28

BAH - my mistake.  I had hit “add pin” and it was showing up in the viewport but near a resize handle of some geometry.  If you dont actually select the pin, even though there can be only one, it won’t enable the “delete pin” button.  So you need to select the pin first, then the “delete” button becomes enabled.  Sorry for the confusion, but hopefully my “discovery” can help someone else in the future. smile

Posted: 18 September 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2007-05-28
Dr. Sassi - 18 September 2012 07:49 PM

You have the circle (pin) selected in the scene, right? It should be orange.

we crossed posts.  I did have it, but it was really difficult to see.  Now I understand. smile

Posted: 18 September 2012 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2007-05-28

And since we’re talking about this, the pin - is it meant to tell the camera calibrator tag where the floor is by putting that on a point that would be considered the “floor”, or how exactly should I think about the pin and how it’s used?

Posted: 18 September 2012 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey,
Sounds like it works now. Great.

It’s these tiny little things with new stuff that needs to be known. Thanks for bringing this theme up! It might help others. :o)

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 18 September 2012 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Crossing posts and dinner, sorry for the delay.

The Pin is the “Origin” of the object or scene that you create. What ever point you know with certainty inside of your image, that would be the place for the pin, and to my understanding, it needs a line or point from the Grid, to work.

I have just finished a longer series of objects for a music video (which will be the base of a series here!) and I tried always to keep the “scale” for each use of teh CC tag correctly, as well the XYZ orientation. It is a tremendously timesaver.

All of that hopefully soon here. The video will premiere next week

Signature 

NEW: