A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

xpresso / compositing tag help
Posted: 25 May 2012 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-12-24

Hi all,

I’m attaching a project file… having a problem with cloners and the external compositing tag. I’m trying to tell C4D to create a solid for each cloner. (I actually don’t need EACH one but I figured I’d delete some in AE later!) The external compositing tag is giving me a strange result, and I have tried different combinations of applying it to the hierarchy and changing it’s settings. Always the same result. It seems to apply selectively to only one “spawn” in the hierarchy. (Makes sense if you open the .aec file.)

I found / copied and pasted an xpresso script into the project (called “Mograph to Nulls”) but I have 0 experience with xpresso, and am in such a jam to get this stuff rendered and moving along in AE. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

File Attachments
infinity.zip  (File Size: 178KB - Downloads: 203)

Posted: 25 May 2012 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi there,

The problem that you run into is that you change the clones amount, based on using a multiple Sub-cloner and a clone itself. The External Compositing tag gives for each Cloner, and sub cloner the 1 or 5 clones as information to to Ae.  The problem is, that you CAN’T clone External Compositing Tags, but that is exactly your expectation here.

You need to build the scene with a single polygon under the first clone, which is then the sub clone to the next ...etc.

All of that goes into a Connect Object (weld set to OFF!!)

This Connect Object is then the “matrix” for a new Cloner, which can then produce on each polygon center a new clone, preferable another single polygon. This Cloner Object becomes then the External Compositing Tag and in that way you get all 625* clones as information in the aec file. There is no option to have them dynamically appear or disappear in Ae. (*625 well plus four if you need the start single position as well)

All the best

Sassi

P.S. the example follows not your timing, but your structure.

File Attachments
CV2_r13_drs_12_MGex_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 98KB - Downloads: 223)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]