A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Render Speed: Parametric VS Editable Polygons
Posted: 25 May 2012 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-12-21

Hey C4D geniuses!

Quick question. Will my scene render faster if all of my parametric objects are made editable?

I have many objects in my scenes that range from deformers, landscape, booleans, spheres…and the like.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brock

Signature 

Brock Boyts
design • concept • motion • 3D

M: 202.360.6466
http://www.brockoli.com

Posted: 25 May 2012 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
In general where you will see a speed up is in the scene prep time when you send to render.
As cinema is more or less loading an entire copy of the scene to be rendered.
So more parametric objects may slow this process down.
Once scene prep has finished parametric vs. Geometry is not much of an issue.

That said if you have objects that you can safely convert then go for it, also if you have many objects that can be merged into one object then go for it.
Merging objects / converting will usually provide faster view response.
Cinema can chew through many points…but many objects can get slow.

Is there something specific you think might be causing issues or is it just a general question?

Posted: 25 May 2012 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-12-21

Thanks Patrick. It was just a general question that I have always been curious about.

Signature 

Brock Boyts
design • concept • motion • 3D

M: 202.360.6466
http://www.brockoli.com

Posted: 25 May 2012 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Brock,

I certainly agree with Patrick on that. Keep in mind that making everything editable might have some side effects. Rendering time is dependent on many things. Especially the hardware configuration can slow things down or up.

My best advice don’t take anything that someone tells you as a general rule with out knowing what you do and with what you work. I think Patrick gave enough to consider.

Let me just add, that the way a scene can be handled is important as well. Primitives and generator objects might have some advantages, like the option to use “Level of Detail”

You might test the attached scene, it proves Patrick point as well. Render it as it comes in, then after checking the render time, make the cube editable and then the Cloner Object. Render again. I had a big difference in it, time wise. Is that a typical scene? Not in my world. If you really check these time differences over a month or so with your typical projects, you might see if that is worth the trouble or not.
Check out the initial scene file size and after the “make edit”, how big it is now!!
How is the scene redraw etc. If that large file needs to go through a network, you might loose even time instead of gaining an advantage.
Again, render time rules are not simple… My test was done with a SSD hard drive btw, if you work with rotating metal stuff, things might differ.

The file size here 118KB (primitive/clones) vs 2.2GB (polygons)!

Have a great weekend

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r13_drs_12_REts_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 74KB - Downloads: 217)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]