A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Can you export markers from After Effects to C4D?
Posted: 26 April 2012 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-08-28

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if there is a way to import markers from After Effects to C4D. The reason being is I have a long audio track in Cinema and every time I try to add a marker it pauses the audio and timeline making it difficult to add markers at the right moment. If there is an easier way to add markers then the way I am trying please let me know. Thanks in advanced.

Miguel

Posted: 26 April 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

Just so I understand the problem.
I first go Window -> customize commands -> searched for “marker”
I selected “create marker at current frame” and set the shortcut to * (just like in AE)
I then opened the timeline and hit play.
With my mouse over the timeline I hit * to add a marker while the audio is playing.
There is a small hiccup in playback.

This is what you are experiencing?

AFAIK there is no way to get around this hiccup.

The AE -> C4D exchange does not support markers (Request the feature through http://www.maxon.net)
.wav files are supposed to be able to support markers upon import, although this does not seem to be working in my test.
Pretty much that leaves the safest method as laying the markers on top of the waveform in the timeline.

Are you trying to lay out a pattern or beats, or just trying to hit key points in time?

Posted: 26 April 2012 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2010-08-28

Thanks Patrick for the super quick response. That’s exactly what I am experiencing. We are working on audio files that are close to 8mins long and where trying to find a more efficient way to place markers for patterns and key points. One of the biggest issues is that we are working at 30fps and most of the tracks bpm’s are not divisible by 30. So we would have to adjust our loops through out the track. In addition our wave files have such a huge waveform in the c4d timeline. So it’s hard to pin point key hits. Right now we are still using the method that you stated which is laying markers on top of the waveform.

I did not know .wav files support markers upon import. Although you said it did not work in your test. I will have to give that a try myself since that would be amazing if we could get that to work.

Thanks again and I will request that feature through maxon.

Cheers,

Miguel

Posted: 26 April 2012 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

If you are trying to do patterns I have a BPM to marker script that I have been working on and was planning to release here.
If you are willing to deal with possible issues I would be happy to send it your way in exchange for feedback.
just send me a PM

Posted: 30 April 2012 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2006-07-27

FWIW, The only time I’ve been able to get .wav markers to import into Cinema was when said .wav’s were exports from Logic.

Signature 

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Posted: 30 April 2012 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2010-08-28

Thanks! I will deff give that a try.