A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Displacement tiling?
Posted: 19 April 2012 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2006-07-27

Hello,

I am trying to texture the walls of a room, the walls of which are covered in a shattered mirror from floor to ceiling.  To try and reproduce this effect without having to tediously model every tile, I have made a texture using the “pavement” surface.  I have made it completely black and white for the alpha and displacement channels, and have applied the material to the wall surface in Cubic projection with 6 tiles. Without displacement it looks ok… it approximates the look pretty good, but it is flat.  I figured that by adding displacement (I’ve tried both regular and sub-poly varieties), I could give these shattered mirrored tiles the depth they are supposed to have.  However, the material doesn’t seem to actually displace according to the texture, and I am wondering if it is because displacement doesn’t tile, or is there something I am missing.

As always, thanks in advance for all your help.

- Will

Signature 

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Posted: 19 April 2012 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Will,

Please test the scene below.

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r13_drs_12_TXdm_01.zip  (File Size: 102KB - Downloads: 182)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 30 April 2012 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2006-07-27

Well, it seems that it definitely can tile, but I cannot get the look right.  It improves of course if I subdivide the geometry, but this seems counter to the whole point of using SPD.  I ended up using the Nitroblast plugin to create a fractured geometry, scaled X and Y down to .9 to get separation and Z up to 1.5 to increase depth, put the lot in Fracture Objects and applied a Random Effector to the rotation values to make the surface less uniform.  Came out quite nice, if not a bit heavy.

Thanks as always!
- Will

Signature 

These pretzels are making me thirsty.