A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Can you set a UV to use Subpatch settings?
Posted: 04 October 2022 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2020-01-07

U created a UV and added a texture to it. But it’s subpatched. So when I subpatch it, the edges bloat out. Is there a setting t have the UV read as a subpatched object?

Posted: 04 October 2022 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi psussi,

There are two ways to establish that, with Polygon Selections or by selecting the UV and changing those. Or both.
Example
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n93sehjais98qs9/CV3_2023_drs_22_TX_sp_01.zip?dl=0

Select the polygons you like to use. Selection> Store Selection and drag that selection in the Material Tag> Selection. Then adjust the Length.V slider in the Material Tag.

The same selection can be used to use the UV Edit> UV-Commands> Fit UV to canvas.

Note, you can use several UV Tags; the one right-sided from the Material tag is used.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 04 October 2022 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2020-01-07

I’m not at a computer to check. But it seems like you are explaining how to add a selection to a UV.
Just to clarify, I already have a UV. But when it’s subpatched, it distorts the image. (See image where the circle kind of plumps out)

Make sense what I’m asking?

Posted: 05 October 2022 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi psussi,

Please let me know if something is not working. You know that I love to stick around until it is working. I hope the following can narrow the case’s problem-core a little bit more.

I’m not really clear what your definition of a subpatch is; This is not a term that you find in the Cinema 4D manual. I assume it is a texture that is created for a smaller amount of UVs than the area all UV polygons would need to be not overlapped nor called (extremely) differently.

As mentioned, there are two options. The selection uses the length parameter of the Material Tag to fit the texture to the UV polygons.

The other option is to select in the UV Editor only the UV polygons needed for the Pupil of the Standard Sphere Pole and set the size of that “sub-Set” to expand over the whole Normalized UV space. (0-1).

I have both in the file, and please check them out.

As usual, I prefer project files over images and video, just in case my example isn’t working for you. I will have a look at it, of course.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 05 October 2022 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2020-01-07

I’m sorry, in Cinema they call it Subdivision. So when I UV the eye, it looks perfect and round. When I subdivide the surface, it bloats out the texture, as I show in the render. if I turn Subdivision off, it renders fine.

How can I keep subdivision and not distort the UV? I know other programs have a UV checkbox that says use Sub division geometry on the UV.

Posted: 05 October 2022 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the update, psussi.

There is an option to improve the setup with textures:
Subdivision> Object> Subdivide UVs: Standard/Boundary/Edge

This will fix one or the other. The triangles in the standard Sphere will challenge the setup, hence the Polygon selection. I would go another route for this.

I’m not clear if you have a linear gradient texture or a circular current in the setup.

One way would be to set the subdivision in the Sphere set up, if left as a Primitive, or use the Mesh> Add> Subdivide> Smooth Subdivide. Then create the UV newly.

Here is an example where I treaded the “pole”. The projection is set so an image of the eye can be used. A linear gradient set to spherical is a different case.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e26zdnezuapyww6/CV3_2023_drs_22_TX_sp_11.zip?dl=0

(The eye is often simplified as one texture, but whit the “lens” as a separate object, it creates more game, i.e., splitting the cornea/sclera and iris/pupil into two objects.)

All the best

Signature 

NEW: