A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

vector motion blur
Posted: 14 January 2012 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-02-12

Hi Sassi and Patrick,

In R13, I’d like to us the Standard Camera, with the post-effect Vector Motion Blur, but the shutter angle setting is missing…when I change to the Physical Camera (per Help) there’s a new panel with a shutter angle setting,  but Vector Motion Blur disappears.  Am I missing a step or sequence…can I still get Vector Motion Blur with the standard camera?

Thanks for your help.

Betsy

Posted: 14 January 2012 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2006-04-04

Hi Betsy,

The shutter angle is normally 360º for the full exposure over the complete frame duration and 180º is considered as the ‘filmic” version of it. Which has all kind of exceptions of course.

The time that the shutter is open, regulates the distance which an object can draw on the single frame. In this way, it is only a number in a formula. This creates as a result the values of the vector pass (but always straight, per single frame). Which means 50% gray for no movement and 0 or 100% pixel/channel value for the complete maximum movement. As we talk here about a number-game, a simulation to be precise, we need to use the Option>Motion Scale, to adjust that.
If you change these numbers, you practically change the shutter.
Normally thes Motion scale is there to optimize the information on the rendering. The shutter is then adjusted as simulation in the post processing plug in.

There is even in the “Physical Camera” no real shutter (not even simulated), it is just a time based calculation otherwise very short shutter values would lead to a phenomenon that we normally know as “Rolling Shutter”. It is a simulation, even if the results are very nice. The same is true for Vector based data, with the difference that there are no curved vectors. (It would need a higher frame rate and frame blending to come closer to it, but to my knowledge it never really matches. It is a fast way to get these things done. The next big disadvantage of post processing is the inability to get DOF and MB at the same time in a correct way in e.g., AfterEffects. The Physical camera or better the algorithm does this with no problem. Many people like to ignore that point or are not even aware of it. It is as usual a question of Render-time vs Quality.

I think “Motion Detection in Flame” can deliver these things, or http://www.virtualrig-studio.com/ produces software that can create these results , but the price-point is close to an extra “Render Multi-CPU-box”, so not really an option for most of our needs.

Let me know if you have any other question, I like to share information about photography (several decades of experience :o)
Have a great weekend

Sassi

Signature 

This is one of my old accounts please do not use it for PMs or other communications. I will not receive it. Sorry. Check the avater of teh newer posts in the forum, that should always work nicely.

Posted: 14 January 2012 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2007-02-12

Hi Sassi
wow, there’s tons of great info here. thank you for going into this, but…

sorry if I confused the issue with “post-effects”...I didn’t mean RSMblur and post-effects in AE…but rather C4D Post-Effects-Vector Motion Blur. 

I’ll probably stay with the Standard Camera for now (render times are too long for me with the Physical Camera) and want to use the regular C4D Vector Motion Blur,,,and I typically use a shutter angel of 1080 which is the max.  How can I get back to that setting in R13, please? 

thanks for your help.

Hope you are having a great weekend.

Betsy

Posted: 14 January 2012 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2006-04-04

Hi Betsy,

I know that you use Ae a lot and RSMB as well. So I might be the one who assumed the wrong thing this time. Sorry.

The Shutter has been moved to the Physical Tab, works for both—confusing—right.

——-
Help Content:
Vector Motion Blur
Tip:
With the introduction of CINEMA 4D R13, the Shutter Angle is no longer defined here but in the camera settings (Physical menu)
——-

The “Physical” based renderings might solve some problems to several things prior to R13 , like MB in Reflection, and improved the MB for objects which are behind other transparent object to a certain degree. In any case, it needs attention as well.

All the best
Sassi

P.S.: In an older tutorial of mine I suggest to combine Vector and Scene Motion Blur, which you might find in the Help Manual as well now. (Scene Motion Blur is now Sub-Frame Motion Blur.)

Signature 

This is one of my old accounts please do not use it for PMs or other communications. I will not receive it. Sorry. Check the avater of teh newer posts in the forum, that should always work nicely.

Posted: 16 January 2012 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2007-02-12

thanks, Sassi…got it working now. 

Take care,
Betsy

Posted: 16 January 2012 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2006-04-04

Hey Betsy,

You’re welcome.

Have a nice start into your week

Sassi

Signature