A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Multi-Layered file headaches….
Posted: 14 January 2012 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2006-07-27

First, let me state that I have never understood why the ‘Multi-Layered File’ option is enabled by default, as the results it creates seem rather useless.

Ok, so I just got back a render from the farm. I had 2 object buffers set to output on multi pass, but I inadvertently overlooked somehow that box, and now I have a multi-layered, 8-bit tiff(psd layers) sequence. The sequence loads into AE as a dark greyscale image with no way to interact with or separate the layers. If I open a single image from the sequence in Photoshop, I see the object buffers in the channels area, but if I load it into PS as am image sequence, I do not. Now… there must be some way to get that info out of there.

What to do?

Thanks in advance,
- Will

Signature 

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Posted: 14 January 2012 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2006-04-04

Hi there,

It makes a lot of sense, if one renders out a still for Ps or uses Multi-layer files in OpenEXR for NUKE. The benefits are great.

You need to write a Photoshop action to get that information from the channels into the layers. Which might take a while, but as it is then folder based, it can be done without effort.

I have asked ADOBE since over seven year by now, that they make more than four channels (RGBA) accessible in AfterEffects.

A Ps or Tiff file with more than RGBA is not compatible inside ADOBE (Except the RPF or RLA file that is widely not in use at all anymore). You need to ask them, and please do it. Their products are not 100% compatible among each other. MAXON can’t use only what ADOBE allows to use.

Good luck

Sassi

Signature 

This is one of my old accounts please do not use it for PMs or other communications. I will not receive it. Sorry. Check the avater of teh newer posts in the forum, that should always work nicely.

Posted: 15 January 2012 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2006-07-27

Well, it is true that Maxon cannot base their software on the strengths or weaknesses of a third party product.  However, there is no reason why that option being enabled should be the default state.  I know how to change that as a preference, but it really should be ‘off’ from the factory.

My take is, why have an option on as a default which has the potential to produce a useless result.

Thank you as always, good Doctor for your insights,

- Will

Signature 

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Posted: 15 January 2012 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

The default is unlikely to ever change.
In general MAXON tries to provide defaults geared towards beginners who are likely to not be using a workflow that is the same as a more advanced user.
Also, the defaut settings are for a still image, so they make sense, as loading in 15 files to build your image is more of a pain than loading in 1 multilayer file.
For more advanced users there are just to many options and nobody would be satisfied with any one default, so it is left up to the advanced user to create their own preferred default.
Other than that you can always suggest a change to MAXON.