A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Hollow vs Solid mesh with the Meshbuilder
Posted: 22 February 2021 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2020-10-06

Hello, I’m having a weird behavior and not too sure if it’s me or there’s an issue.

I have a couple of mesh objects that if I cut them with a bool object I clearly see they are hollow. Using the mesher object, I substract a cube from my main object, and in some cases it will work as intended, meaning the object will show being hollow, then I add a dilate and erode to give it a thickness.

But on certain objects, it will only cut as if it was a solid object. Not sure why this behavior. Any clues?

Thanks.

Marc.

(picture attached)

Posted: 22 February 2021 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Marc,

Images might illustrate it, but I really prefer scene files. If you need an upload link, let me know.
Otherwise: Google, Amazon, DropBox, Wetransfer, and Adobe, as well as Apple. I do not click on any shortened or unknown links.

Images lead to guessing, and I find that guessing is highly un-professional (wasting time on your end, etc.)

(Edit: With not professional, I mean that dumping many questions and guesses into the forum would be unprofessional from my side. I find platforms with that kind of stuff in it super hard to read, challenging to follow, and wasting everyone’s time. Instead, I offer to look at the file, and when I get a reproducible solution, I post the answer and perhaps some alternatives. Besides, I started a few years ago to make 60-second clips, “running” through a setup, to visualize the setup. (Nearly 1300 clips by now.) It seems to work. Otherwise, the communication might be extended. Sorry, it was never meant to characterize nor evaluate the question or the one who asks itself. Not at all! Really sorry. Well, now I took a lot of time. I hope it is OK./edit)

As usual, having said that, how about: switching the Boole to “A without B”? … or changing the cubes segment count?

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 22 February 2021 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2020-10-06

Hello Dr. Sassi..

https://www.dropbox.com/t/yVCSNpoYjWZZ848P

Here’s the link to the file.. the idea here was to not use the boolean operator, but only the mesher object. As you’ll see, it works on 2 out of 3.

thx!

Marc.

Posted: 22 February 2021 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the file and for using DropBox.

(Another case where the file shows clearly what is going on.)

The term bool pointed my attention in the wrong direction. I thought you boole first, then use the volume objects.

So, each object behaves as expected. What is the difference, then? The two objects with the hollow result are not “watertight”. They have at least one hole in them. In other words, they are just surfaces and will be handled as such.
The one that stays solid is a “closed” volume, and in that way, produces a solid instead of a thin shape.

If you select some polygons from the area that you cut away, you get what the others provide.

There is an “Optimize and Close Holes” option in the Volume Object. You can see clearly what it does.

Optimize and Close Holes
Option disabled: If you are working with objects that are not “water tight”, i.e., they are not completely closed, the Volume TypeSigned Distance Field (SDF) will place Voxel layers only over and under the polygon surface with a closed Volume.
Option enabled: The object will be closed and the Volume TypeSDF will view the closed object as a Volume.

See image. I hesitate to attach the file. Did you got it as a Private Message (I got an error message while trying)

Cheers

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 22 February 2021 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2020-10-06

That is amazing!! thank you so much Dr. Sassi!! I spent many hours (pretty much since last time we spoke) on trying to figure out this issue!!!

I did not get the private message, but I do have to create a hole for a passage to the frontal sinus so it is perfect!

thank you again!

cheers!

Marc.

Posted: 22 February 2021 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you, Marc.

Since the hole can be in the area that will be subtracted, it should always be easy. PErhaps create a copy as a backup anyway. If you have even the need to have a hole somewhere, perfect.

My best wishes for your project.

Enjoy.

Signature 

NEW: