A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Clear bag in Shape of man
Posted: 23 December 2011 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2009-06-03

Yikes this is a tough one for me, and I have till Monday to deliver!

I need to model a guy-figure, sort of a gingerbread man shape - only he is made out of clear plastic
and is a rounded balloonish-like.

I cobbled together this attached image by extruding an imported path and adding a fillet.
Not good though. Needs to be much more ‘bag-like’ AND I need to squish the sides in to emulate the clips squeezing him.

Anyone have some tips on a good way to model this guy? and/or advice on material/texture?

It’s for a STILL image, not animated. So I can work with Photoshop too.
Thanks for any advice!

Brian

Posted: 23 December 2011 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2006-04-04

Hi Brian,

Where to find that image?

All the best

Sassi

(Attachment is done with few splines, Metaball and a displacement map. Just a sketch)

Signature 

This is one of my old accounts please do not use it for PMs or other communications. I will not receive it. Sorry. Check the avater of teh newer posts in the forum, that should always work nicely.

Posted: 24 December 2011 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2009-06-03

Thanks Sassi, I’m gonna give that a try.
I’m new to Metaballs but seems like the answer.

I’m using v 12.0

Cool movie!

Brian

Posted: 24 December 2011 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2009-06-03

Oh just understood you couldn’t see my image I thought was uploaded…
Here’s where I’m at before trying your idea…

Brian

Posted: 24 December 2011 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2006-04-04

Hi Brian,

Thanks, that explains the clip nicely. Certainly an unusual use of the clip.

I would try to get the shape done, and I believe the Metaball delivers a good option for that, at least a very fast one.

The Clips could be done (maybe) with a Cage-Deformer. Another method would be given with a Displacement map (SPD).

Metaballs, please notice that the Hullvalue creates a huge change, in the example above I had it around 500%. Any child under teh Metball object counts, as long as it has points. If you have some objects that should work like a subtraction, use a Metaball tag! The Negative Influence will help to shape your object details. But you might get it done with a spline contour and maybe a spline in the core.
If the shape is nice, you might consider to use the “Current State to Object” to make it a geometry only.

Good luck

Sassi

P.S. thanks for the kind feedback to my movie short.

Signature 

This is one of my old accounts please do not use it for PMs or other communications. I will not receive it. Sorry. Check the avater of teh newer posts in the forum, that should always work nicely.

‹‹ R13 CHARACTER HELP!      Not renewing ››