A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

crushed (pressed) object
Posted: 07 June 2020 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  183
Joined  2019-09-03

Hi,

How can I crush object… as top object (collider) moves down…. 00 start pressed…?
I tried softbody but not getting shape as when a can press from top….!
OR any other way to do that….?

Thanks.
Imran.

Posted: 07 June 2020 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Imran,

The folding of a can or a crashed car is certainly not doable with the pristine set up of a simple Dynamic. What leads to the folds is an imperfect direction of the pressure; Furthermore, imperfections of the material thickness and stability. For a car, the folds and edges will add to that complexity. Even plastic bottles have a lot of structural support based on being not just flat like a can. To simulate this, one could set up some Weight maps (with folding and random patterns) and drag those into the SoftBody fields.

The force, as well as the inner variance of the structural stability, will lead to folds. If it would be simple, why do car produces crushes hundreds of vehicles against a concrete wall?

In our case, we are more interested in art direction, than to explore how the physics work. Whereby many people use the term physical correct for many areas. I do not, as a simulation, is most of the time a simplification.

Take art direction and simplification into an animations system, you avoid dynamics in such cases and create a rig instead.

In the file below
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/gq7OyizmE09nnGEKqTzhpPdLjP1xTFUPJFFdLNA6z4p

I have set up such a rig for you. The main idea was to create a Mesh-deformer rig. Which is driven by a simplified Cube as a cage. I have cut this cube with a Voronoi Fracture (Hull only) and merged it to one object (Current State to Object, Connect+Delete, Optimize. One could just use a cube and a kife.

This cute was then copied three times. Then scaled it (axis was on the floor for each!), used the Mesh>Move> Set Point Values to crumble it, as well as a Twist deformer. Each of these three was then dragged into a PoseMoprh as a relative source.

In this way, the amount of scale, crumble, and twist was easily adjustable.

I made a copy of this and applied one of those to each of the zeros in your example.
Then animated the weight block (Cube) to crush them. Falls, bounce, presses slowly, and then the zeros surrender quickly. Four states.

With this main element driving the animation, and the roughly four states, I animated the PoseMorph accordingly.

This is quick, easy to animate, and even easier to art-direct.
Changes can be made, as well.

My best wishes for your project

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 07 June 2020 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2019-09-03

Thanks for that.
I sent PM… can you please help me in that.
OR screen capture… So I can follow the process.

Thanks.

Posted: 07 June 2020 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Imran,

Here is a rundown of the setup procedure:
screen capture and scene file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/mbpyIQVdHSXcSMrAUFVKCWoxmuv3ddgd7BZbyYrpP0O

Some things I have stressed in the clip, but to be 100% certain that it is acknowledged:

• The cage needs to be larger than any single element that should be affected by it.

• Before the change is newly initiated, make ABSOLUTELY sure that the PoseMorph is completely set to zero. Perhaps set a keyframe at frame zero.

• Change of the objects needs an Initiation of the Mesh Deformer, preferably with an off/on switch of the MoText and Instance.

• The PoseMorph allows for values in negative as well in positive, and beyond 100%!

In this way, you can type in the four letters that you like to use and go from there.

I hope that is what you have asked for.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 07 June 2020 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2019-09-03

yes… now its clear. Thanks for the video.

Thanks.

Posted: 07 June 2020 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Imran, thanks for the reply.

If there is anything not working for you, or any other question, please let me know.

Have a great start into your week.

Signature 

NEW: