A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

import of Blender files into C4D – coordinate system and size problem
Posted: 26 September 2019 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2019-04-02

Hello C4D-fellows,

I have to work with (a lot of) Blender files and altough I´m not very familiar with Blender, I am able to export the geometry from Blender as FBX and import it to C4D. So far so good, but I am very annoyed by the following 2 points:

1) Blenders coordinate system
Blender has a different coordinate system (Z is up), so in C4D either the objects or the object coordinate system are imported rotated. There are options in the Blender FBX export window for adjusting the coordinate system and I think I tried every single possibility. But it didn´t work out.
I still have to rotate them manually and center the axis in C4D. This is very annoying when you import a lot of Blender files. Does anyone know a solution for this?

2) object size: correct in Coordinates Manager, 100 in Attributes Manager
In the Coordinates Manager the objects size is correct. In the Attributes Manager S.X, S.Y and S.Z is set to 100 although is should be 1. I couldn´t find any options in the Blender FBX export window for this.
I could set all object sizes right manually. But doing this in several files with minimum! 30 objects in each file – most annoying thing ever. I am desprately looking for an automatic (or easier) way to do this…

Any help will be very appreciated.

Posted: 26 September 2019 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  292
Joined  2017-09-24

I also hop between C4D and Blendr these days.

RE: Blenders coordinate system
Have you tried the FBX import option in C4D? specifically the Flip Axis and Up Axis option

RE: Object size: correct in Coordinates Manager, 100 in Attributes Manager
I haven’t found a solution for this. Basically, I just freeze th attributes so they go back to 1, at least at face value, and call it a day.

Signature 

C4D Body Mechanics Rigs (Gumroad)  //    Website

Posted: 26 September 2019 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi AnSa,

Please have a look here:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/UbsioXvf6rmyDgpY4v7CRDDhm0NoeAfSl9FhoYg4Q0j

I have set the scale to 100, but if you like to stay in the “Blender Size”, leave the Scale to 1. (I would vote against it, but you might have your reasons to stay with such small values.)

I use Alembic (.abc) here. A few clicks and your model is imported, in the Cinema 4D axis system and scaled as needed. Pressing the C is not mandatory.
I hope that works for your projects. Otherwise please share a simple file.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]