A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

How to emit Thinking Particles along a spline?
Posted: 21 May 2019 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2014-03-14

Here’s a flashback for you - I followed your R14(?) tutorial on how to emit Thinking Particles along a spline. The Xpresso was challenging but I managed to get it to work as advertised (credit to the teacher).

However I found a couple of surprises. First, I can’t seem to be able to control the rate the particles are emitted, or how fast they move along the spline (seems like these are related parameters). I twiddled all the controls I could find in the PStorm node, but none seemed to have an effect. The only control I found was turning them on or off via the LIFE slider. Otherwise, they seem to operate on autopilot.

The bigger problem is when I assembled several of these emitters into a single scene via XRef, I discovered that only one emitter worked at a time. That is, whoever got there first seemed to turn off all the others. I thought this might be related to “Use all segments” in the Spline node, but that didn’t make any difference. This is absolutely a project killer as everything depends on multiple streams of particles coursing around each other. Might have 15 or so before it’s done.

Models and assembly scene are here:

https://adobe.ly/2HNM7kk

NOTE: Two variations on the light pulses - the middle one uses splines, the outer two use a torus form. The spline version is preferred and the torus will be replaced.

It might be overkill to use Thinking Particles in this instance, and perhaps Standard Particles would work fine, I just couldn’t find anyone who had trained those to follow a spline. Perhaps there’s a new secret button?

As an alternative, I experimented with using a Cloner to send glowing objects (i.e. area lights) down a spline but could not find a way to control them beyond the 100% offset slider. Looping the offset can simulate a continuous stream, but I need the pulse to travel down the spline at the start. So I’d have to duplicate the Cloner for each effect, one to initiate and one to continue. And that’s too complicated. So it’s particles or nothing - seems to me.

Thanks.

Posted: 22 May 2019 01:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi mford610,

Thanks for the files.

Let me first share the MoGraph version.
Scene file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/ZDbnNtteFyifPnNpkWLsnhuzA73u3AIA6vFe1ZpSG3w
Have a look at the Cloner>> Attribute Manager> Object> Rate
That is maybe all you need.

The Thinking-Particles files, including a screen capture:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/NWKiBeiMTPyK81nemHL1DcI5RAiQbP8ZUH7WMw1lCat

The idea of the spline-particle combination was to use the age of the particle and map it to the length of the spline.
The age/life allows for the position of the spline.

If you use Count from the PStrom, that is the maximum amount that is in the scene, perhaps Rate is better for your use.
The shorter the life, the faster the move.

Feeding the life-value into the Get Data, overwrites the initial setting. If that is wanted, good. If not, create two sliders.

The problem with only one spline/set up working is based on the missing use of PGroups. I have introduced Group.1 and Group.2
If you use Group All for everything, the last commands per frame will be seen, not all. Groups are an essential part of Thinking Particles. Again: essential!

Another part that is often ignored is the X-Manager. It works from the top down. In most cases, with simple setups that might be not important. But if you like to have a working file, with no headache, sort these things out.

BTW, I have on the left side always the newly given information, in the middle the process and on the right side the (sub) results.
I try to go from top to bottom, but sometimes that will not be so important. However, I can read older files easily with that. The Spaghetti method does not work so well in that regard for me.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]