A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

How to use the point cache to reduce drag in preview?
Posted: 28 April 2019 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2014-03-14

I used a collision and displacement deformer to create pseudopods on a cell model. Since the collision deformer really hits the processor and drags down the preview, I used a point cache to bake the deformations - thinking that would speed things up. It might have, but if it did, I can’t see it.

Any thoughts on what I might be forgetting? I have to populate a scene with several of these things bouncing around, and I can’t preview any of the moves. It’s a project killer.

File attached here: https://adobe.ly/2L9SC66

Thanks!

Posted: 28 April 2019 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi mford610,

Thanks for the file.

I have no information how large you want to render it, but your given information that you need many of these indicates (perhaps) that they show up smaller than filling the frame.

Please set the Sub Division Surface>Object>Subdivision Editor to zero or one, and the Subdivision Render to 2.  I have rendered it in 2, 3 and 4. Then I used the A/B comparison in the Picture Viewer. IT is hard to tell the difference among 2,3 and 4. Which means you waste time. Especially in the Editor View, the setting can be zero.

In the old days, we used a bump map to cover up some mesh-resolution problems, to save render-time. Perhaps a Normal Map could be used instead. The edges will always indicate if the mesh has a sufficient density in concert with the render resolution.

I would need more information how the final animation is set up, to explore it more in detail.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]