A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Clamping constrained moving object to a dome?
Posted: 31 March 2019 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2012-04-04

Hi:

I could use some direction as to how to make a object that’s been constrained to another moving object “stick” to the surface of a sphere.

Here’s the context:

I’m helping out with an animation that’s to be projected onto a dome that’s being designed to sync with physical lasers on site.  The concept is that as a laser flashes on the dome animation a laser on site lights up at the exact same time, programmed to hit a target that corresponds with the laser in the animation.

We’ve developed a workflow that will crop the animated lasers where they intersect with the dome and a way to create targets for the on site lasers to follow.  The animation will be rendered in Octane with its spherical camera.

We realize that even though we can make the on-site lasers “hit” the origin point of the projected lasers, the beams will appear bent depending on where an audience member is sitting.  The only way the beams would look to perfectly line up would be from the perspective of an audience member sitting in the exact same spot as our spherical camera (dead center of the dome).

We want to add some visual element (to be determined) where the laser hits the dome to help hide the bend, so I need a way to create postion keyframes from where our 3D beams intersect the dome.

End of context.

I’ve attached a scene file in which I’ve used a PSR constraint to tie a cone to our moving beam.  The tip of the cone is even with the dome at the start, but as the beam tilts up and to the right the cone diverges from the sphere.  It would probably work to just keyframe the Z-offset in the constraint to keep the tip of the cone near the dome, but it would be great if there’s some combination of constraints that could do this automatically and precisely.  I don’t know if you can use a Clamp constraint in conjunction with a PSR restraint to do this.  My other thought was to use some sort of dynamic connector, but I need to do some R&D on that.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

File Attachments
Laser_Cone_Dome.c4d.zip  (File Size: 104KB - Downloads: 28)

Posted: 31 March 2019 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the scene file.

Please have a look here:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/zT8E7ksNzjt593nQsVq4s0txlfoKOtWLsFKemr5XxX4

I have introduced another Cone, as I was not clear if the cone should be perpendicular to the sphere or pointing to the source of the laser. Ignore one or the other.

Let me know if that solves your problem, or share what I have missed.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 31 March 2019 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2012-04-04

Hi Dr. S.

Once again, thanks so much for your quick reply.  I can always count on you to come through when I’m on deadline.  You’re one of the main reasons we renew our MSA every year.

Your solution should work perfectly.  I think we’ll be using the version that’s aligned with the beam, NOT the normal of the sphere.  If we keep everything aligned with the normals they’d all just appear as circles to the camera centered in the dome.  The creative director wants to see the volumetric beams pushing into the scene where possible.

I tried using a Slide connector with a spring, using the dome as a collision object, but the result was very jittery and unusable.  Your XPresso solution is great, nice and smooth.

Best.

Shawn

Posted: 31 March 2019 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Shawn, thanks for the excellent feedback.

Please let me know if there is anything else, I’m happy to look into it.

My best wishes for the project.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]