A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Deleting Source Rig after retargetting. C4d/Mixamo/Unity
Posted: 21 January 2019 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2018-10-04

Hello everyone first post so please be gentle!

I have a character that I rigged through Mixamo. I then created a motion capture file (Source Rig) with my mocap suit, In C4D I’ve retargeted the Source Rig I created to the Mixamo rig via a Plural Sight tutorial. After all is said and done, the character looks great and animates fine (barring some interesection). I want to bring the character and rig into UNITY, so I exported a .fbx from C4d and imported it into Unity. The problem is when I bring the .fbx into Unity the character comes in twisted (I’m betting it is from the constraint tags added via the tutorial)...I’m sure if I could transfer the key frames from the Source Mocap file I created to the existing Mixamo rig everything would be fine and dandy.

2 questions:

1) Is it possible to transfer the data from the Source Mocap rig to the Mixamo rig and then delete the Source Rig? If so how?

2) Is it possible to create some sort of “offset” layer so I can move some parts so the animation does not intersect with itself?

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

“Help me Obi-wan Kenobi…you’re my only hope”

Posted: 21 January 2019 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi ToyRobotMedia,

This is not a simple question, and knowing pretty not so much at all about what you have done so far, it is impossible to say anything without guessing. What I usually try to avoid here at all cost, as guessing is most of the time just wasting time on both sides. Scene files are always much more clear.

Where to start? I have no idea nor access to the PluralSight content. I’m not, by any means, clear what they suggest for this workflow. Go to Mixamo and download a simple demo: FBX and FBX for Unity. Import both independent to Unity. Which one is working for you?

If I recall one of the last questions here, Maximo has some kind of their own ideas what orientation a rig should have. Well, so far I have seen it, they changed things at one point. Since I have no information about this from your side, I really can’t tell. The idea comes to mind that the axis has been flipped and there we might find the source for the problem.

The first step would be, to re-import the FBX file back to Cinema 4D to see if that worked at all. If it works fine, we can exclude the export.

If you want to transfer data, the hierarchy must be the same. With this in place: The Cinema 4D’s Motion Clip System is typically an excellent way to achieve exactly that.

OR just do a simple test: Take a cylinder and rig it with a few joints and bind it. Export it to Unity. See how it works. If this goes well, explore the differences.

Besides that, I would encourage you to browse the video library here. Perhaps explore this series:
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/mixamo_to_cinema_4d_character_workflow/mixamo_to_cinema_4d_character_workflow_series_introduction

All the best

P.S.: I like to check always freshly what works and do not love to answer from memory. Which means, I have downloaded a fresh (all three versions) from Mixamo, installed the newest Unity engine, and imported as well exported those. Besides, I have used a C4D character and went as well the FBX route to Unity. I can’t see a problem with any animation here.
Screen capture from today
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/JCJvbx1uI2wAGWjFgE2ZGrZAXaxLk0NAm64UiDpfGX3

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Orientation of object      Plugins for R20? ››