A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Object Buffer rendering extra RGB pass
Posted: 27 June 2018 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2015-04-29

Hi, I am having an issue with C4D (R19) rendering an extra RGB pass to the Object Buffer pass directory. I just walked in expecting an overnight 8 hour render to be complete on my team render farm to find its not even half way. Hoping someone has a simple answer…

I have a Regular Image path set to save PNGs in one folder & one Object Buffer pass with PNGs saved to a seperate folder. When I did my test renders I got what I expect = an RGB pass in the Regular Image path folder and just the Object buffer matte images saved to the Multi-Image path folder. However,  I now have had another set of RGB images saved into the Object Buffer folder along with the matte images. And its seems this not just copy of the RGB images but a second render pass, hence my double render times! Is this a Team Render (using Render Cue) issue?

Thanks for any help, my deadline is looming.

Cheers
Tom

Posted: 28 June 2018 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Tom,

Do you have two rendering “Jobs”? Or just saved as part of the “MultiPass Image”> RGBA image sequence and one RGB with the save option of a “Regular Image”. I have tested it, just to see if there are any changes, IF both or one of the options is rendered in one render-job, there is no significant increase in time, added only the time perhaps to save it to the disk.
https://help.maxon.net/us/#54251

What is the support telling you?
Just in case you have not checked:
https://www.maxon.net/en-us/support/how-can-we-help/

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 28 June 2018 02:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2015-04-29

Thanks for the reply Dr Sassi,

I haven’t had a response to my support request from Maxon yet. The render is still going so I am limited to what I can do at the moment.

I was rendering the one job with both the Regular Image and Multi-pass Image save options checked. I am not using Render Server just the Render Cue in C4D. However, I have another render from the same file & scene (slightly different Take) in the cue, I turned off the save Regular Image option so only the Object Buffer along with the extra RGB pass and that render is going at double the speed.

I have also had intermittent results with either 1 or 2 RGB images coming out with both Regular Image & Multi-Pass checked. Once my current render finishes I will check if this may be due to Team Rendering. I first noticed this issue when I used Tokens to create the save path. So I stopped doing that and went back to manually creating the directory, but its still happening.

Regards
Tom

Posted: 28 June 2018 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Sorry to have no solution for you, Tom.

I have used now the Render Queue only and rendered again two different jobs, one as I normally do Multi-Pass, with no Regular Image, and one with both Save check boxes on. Pretty much the same time, certainly not double.

I have no idea what happens on your side. It sounds like a tech problem and we are not supposed to overlap with the support. I hope that makes sense. So, please take the lines below as non-professional guesswork.

What ever you have used to start the rendering, somewhere is an entry if it is one job or two. If one, I have no idea why the Regular Image adds up to double time, which is weird, given that you wouldn’t just render another RGBA image with Multi-Pass. (As you mentioned, there are several Buffer passes.

If the images are saved at the same time, given the same frame number, it should be one job. If they are saved at different times to the disk, comparing the same frame, then I’m certain that you run two jobs. That second job, producing only an Regular image needs to be stopped.

This is said with the weird feeling of having no further information, and usually I wouldn’t even write it, as it is guessing, not really something that I like nor think it is pro like to do so. But you seemed bothered by a deadline.

I hope the support can give you more insight.

As a side note, I had of course times waiting for a render to be finished, so I too the first few frames and composed them as needed and set up anything I wanted to do with them. When the render is finsished, just reload the few sequences and you have at least used some time already – If you are the post-artist for that project.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 28 June 2018 04:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2015-04-29

Thanks Dr Sassi

As per your suggestion I checked the file creation dates and they are the same time stamp for each of the RGB images. Once I get this job out of the way I will do some further investigation. When I do find something I will post here.

Thanks Again
Tom

Posted: 28 June 2018 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Tom,

I hope you can discuss this with the support and they have an answer for you why things result in double images.

Thanks for the offer to share, very nice of you.

Cheers

Signature 

NEW: