A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Maxon Support won’t respond
Posted: 18 June 2018 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-02-06

I continually have an issue where my shortcut (1) Move Camera will stop functioning. Only a computer restart will bring it back. I don’t think there’s a shortcut I use more than the Move Camera, so this is important to me. However, Maxon is blowing off my requests for help. My last request was months ago, I just keep restarting. I’m fed up.

I’ve given Maxon a lot of money over the years. If I can’t get help, they’ve seen my last MSA.

I’ve also had my (F4) shortcut for Front View wouldn’t work at all. After a couple years of not working, and Maxon not responding to my help request, it started woring again.

Posted: 18 June 2018 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi markfug,

First: Have you tried to set new short cuts?

Sorry to hear about your trouble with this. Before I send you to the roundtrip, as I’m not supposed to do technical stuff here, let me make sure we have excluded a few things. (Yes, I got that you get no further response, and I really don’t know what to make of it, that is not the way I know it. Anyway not the place to discuss here, as I would need to hear both sides, and that goes beyond the scope of the forum here. I hope that makes sense).

I had a similar problem with Photoshop, my most use short cut “X” wasn’t available anymore, took me weeks to it figure out, yes tons of online forum advice (nothing helped!), so I feel you pain. Turned out, it happens only when Chrome was running as well. Since you had trouble in earlier post with Safari, I mention Chrom,  as Chrome is normally working with this forum. I have had more trouble with Ps when Chrome is running, but all comes after a while back, restart helps. Sounds familiar?

If you have a second Mac, do you experience the same?

I guess you are on the latest build os and app wise.

Besides that, the first rule of finding other problems, pull all cables, besides power of course. A broken USB cable or anything with BlueTooth might be the problem. Besides that, someone told me that the cell phone was the problem in his case.
In other words, excluding as problem solving strategy. Keyboards and mouse/tablet stuff, especially Wacom has driven me nuts at one point, New drivers have helped sometimes.

Another option, these weird sleep mode hard drives. While the Mac sends the drive to sleep, some drives have their own sleep mode, and that creates a wake up problem. If any app needs access to the drive for that short cut, you are left alone. For my new 8TB WD drives I leave the Utilities open, which helps to keep them active. Also here, the WD support is silence.

PRAM and other resets should be done if things go south; Often kind of completely unrelated, I know, but if there is a chain reaction…

That’s all I can share.
Fingers crossed.
My best wishes.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 18 June 2018 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-02-06

I have restarted the app, and the shortcut will not work. Reboot the Mac will likely bring the function back for an undetermined time. I added the (`-accent key) next to the (1) to the list of shortcuts for Move Camera. None of the keyboard shortcuts listed will work.

It is a 2016 Macbook Pro with only power cable. Everything up to date. The (F4) shortcut fail I had followed me from my 2012 Macbook Pro. The 2016 was not migrated. I started with fresh installs of everything. New versions of C4D didn’t get back the (F4) function. I had even tried reboots with only C4D running, but nope. Then one day, out of the blue, it worked again.

I know I can’t search (maybe post) within Cineversity using Safari. I use Opera for here. So now that you brought up Safari, I just closed it and Move Camera function came back.

So I’m getting a conflict with Safari with these shortcuts. There is no Safari shortcut listed there of just (1). But it’s not just the (1) that’s not working, it’s any key set to Move Camera. The new (`-Accent key) shortcut I assigned is enabling Move Camera.

Safari is killing Move Camera. It’s been doing this for a very long time. This is even more bizarre than I imagined, why is this killing an entire function?

Posted: 18 June 2018 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the report, markfug.

I think we made some progress. Great! What Safari does internally is certainly beyond me, but perhaps Apple can shed some light on this.

I would check Safari’s preferences first, e.g., the tabs. Then Security, un-check Java for example, then go to Extensions, perhaps there is one little devil.

Besides that, my largest nightmare ever (!!!) during a presentation was, that someone switched the keys to a more windows like set up, I was lost. (Try it when you’re live on the web and recorded, while focusing on the presentation, a pure nightmare.)
This is under Mac>Preferences>Keyboard>Shortcuts. Perhaps uncheck all if the fn+F4 key doesn’t give you the F4 function.

All in all, perhaps some Apple Pro rolls his eyes about my suggestions, but well, none of those told me about my web browser as source of my problems either. wink

I hope you get closer to a nice and smooth working Mac soon.

Have a great evening

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]