A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Is there a quick way to move the axis to world origin?
Posted: 05 October 2016 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2016-09-15

Just started using C4D and I have a very basic question.

I am trying to move the axis of a null object to world origin without moving any of the children.

Right now I press “L” to “Enable Axis” and zero out xyz and rotational coordinates. It works buts it tedious to type those values every time.

I googled and came across “Reset PSR”. Unfortunately this moves the children along with it.

So I am wondering if there is a quick way to do this?

Posted: 05 October 2016 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi zulu85,

In order to keep thinks organized, especially if anything is animated, this would be my suggestion.
“Unparent” all objects, “Reset PSR” of the [former] parent and “Set-Parent” to reconnect the parent. (If the icons of those commands are in the GUI, in order, it is a quick process)

Besides that, if the axis is key, why not parent everything under a new Null? (I never use the Group command, BTW, as it destroys more often than not animations.)

A third option would be the Freeze All (Attribute Manager>Coord.) Which leaves the Axis where it is, but resets all the Coordinates of only that specific object. I’m not sure if that is working for you, but mentioning was certainly my idea.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 05 October 2016 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2016-09-15

Thanks for your reply Dr. Sassi.

I am not interested in animation per se. Basically, I have a bunch of planes that will serve as lights. The idea is to center them at the origin (where the subject is) so I can rotate them freely around the subject.

The way I am trying to achieve that is to group the lights under a null and move the axis of null to world origin. I don’t want to move the plane’s axis because I want to do be able to rotate it around its axis for finer control.

Is there an easier way to do this in Cinema than what I have described above?

Posted: 05 October 2016 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi zulu85,

I’m not certain that I can re-create a clear picture of your set up here. So, let me try this, place the planes where you like to have them. Then create a Null object and drag [in the Object manager] all planes under this Null object. If you had grouped them before, move things in position and then place the group under this new Null.

This top Null is now the parent to all planes, the planes can be moved and rotated by itself, or as group with the Null.

If this isn’t duplicating your idea, I can send you and upload link for the scene. Please just the planes and as object a proxy (a sphere of figure). Nothing else, please, so I get a clear picture of the core set up.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 05 October 2016 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2016-09-15

Aah I was creating null with “Alt + G” shortcut which creates the null were the null axis is aligned to child axis.

If I create the way you described (i.e create null first then drag children under) it creates null with axis aligned to world origin hence solving my problem smile

Having said that, is there no way to zero out positional and rotational coordinates of an axis other than to manually type them in?

Posted: 05 October 2016 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback zulu85.

Yes, the alt-G is the one I avoid suggesting. Select two object and group them that way, the “average” position will be used. Since you are not into animation, that would not cause trouble.
Don’t get me wrong. I certainly love short cuts. I avoid them when I teach, as it takes too much out of the overall understanding. Only this one, and place object under or above, are the three I really avoid. Over the years I ahve run into many scenarios where those causing trouble. However, I’m pretty much alone with this ;o)

The core idea of anything in Cinema 4D is, that the world-origin is like a “Super Null” and provides the zero’d out version. Anything and everything relates to it, directly or indirectly. the main thing to understand is here the Global vs Local position (most visible in XPresso, though).

Not a single object is independent in its position or rotation, well, scale as well.

All of that leads to the procedure of: “Unparent” all objects, “Reset PSR” of the [former] parent and “Set-Parent”. The visible change in each of the child objects to former child objects, to child again object is visible in the coordinates. All of these coordinates, of each and every child under a parent must be adjusted. In this way.

Example, look at the coordinates when you do the “alt+G” shortcut, you zero out a single object that is now under the new Null. With two objects which are apart of each other, the result will be different.

I checked now everything that came to my mind, even the “Axis Center”.

My tip, to follow your idea of moving the axis faster, if you have no object on 0;0;0, then place there one. While in “Axis Modification Mode” enable as well Snapping with 3D and Axis snap enabled. This lets you very quickly move that axis to the Null as it snaps there.

Perhaps there is a hidden feature, but I’m not aware off. I tested Rick’s “Zero Out” script, I made a custom zero XPresso Tag, to set the values, but no luck. Perhaps the support knows it. Sorry.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 05 October 2016 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2016-09-15

Thanks Dr. Sassi. The axis snap is a great tip!

Posted: 05 October 2016 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, zulu85,

I know your ideal would be one click (would be nice to have or to know), but I hope this comes close enough for now.

My best wishes for your project. :o)

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 05 October 2016 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

So, it took some time, zulu85,

but I have found a C.O.F.F.E.E. script here, which does obviously exactly this:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php?t-876122.html
Scroll down. (I personally have no clue about “.csc”)

Copy the “code only” part into the C.O.F.F.E.E. script editor, while the object is selected, press the execute button.
I can’t take any guarantee for this, nor do I can support it, literally: I can’t.

Here is a little clip how it could be used, but please read the CG Forum carefully. I tested it a few times in R18, and found no problems so far. It will however, take the position of a parent, if the object is not the top object in the hierarchy, as mentioned above, the world space is the super parent, if any other object is the parent, then this will be the ” world”. Null and Parametrical objects will be moved. To my understanding, the object, while polygonal is moved as the Reset PSR would do, but the points are moved back. (Hence the amount of “points” in the script.)

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/EmmCqtj26W2FMI8EMnBtoKLUCybpfPBlHrkpEyuoAOX?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Weighting error ››