A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Dynamics - want some dents in rigid body
Posted: 19 July 2016 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-05-31

I am working on dynamics. I used cloned spheres for moving object that roll down through the tube and are finally drop onto the meshed tray, where they make dents.
I created a mesh plane and used it as a last ray which I want to see dents. I assigned a rigid dynamics tag and changed
“OFF” to “made of Polygon lines” in the Soft body tab. But I do not see any dents made when three spheres land the last tray.

Posted: 19 July 2016 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Bun-H,

Is this the same scene as in the other thread? Please share a scene file, I reopened the upload link, if needed.
I will look into it, in the morning… ;o) Please advice what you would like to have changed based on the attached example.

Keeping Soft-bodies and getting permanent dents ...[?], please specify what the target is, hence the request for a scene file.
The idea of a soft-body and keeping imprints from the interaction permanently seems not really in agreement. But perhaps I miss your target here, as I can’t tell from the few lines where you like to go with it.

Typically, so my current idea about it, if the dent has to stay, the soft object has to get less “soft”, but that might look weird. For minor dents, I would “Point Cache” the object (to fix the dynamic), and then set up an Collision Deformer, with dent imprinting support objects.Just a thought, you might have other ideas. Please let me know.

As a side note, this could be done with an animated bump or displacement map. ;o)

All the best

P.S.: not a solution for a continuation of soft-bodies, but check out here:

https://help.maxon.net/#DYNRIGIDBODYTAG-RIGID_BODY_GROUP_COLLISION
Scroll down a little bit.

File Attachments
CV2_r17_drs_16_DYde_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 74KB - Downloads: 117)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 20 July 2016 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2012-05-31

Hi. I like to see dents in the last tray (pink) when three spheres landed. The Handbook manual says Rigid Dynamics tag with Soft Body ON should do it, shouldn’t it? So, I set the last pink tray as rigid but allows dents to be made by turning Soft Body on and selected Polygon point. In this case, the target is the last tray (mesh), right? I was thinking of a Cloth tag, but the tray stays (cloth) and not fall onto the three spheres…, but the tray needs to stay and three spheres fall onto the tray and make dents at the same time… I also changed the stiff parameter changed for the tray, but I did not see any differences… I just submitted the file. Thank you always.

Posted: 20 July 2016 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Bun-H,

Thanks for the file. The first thing that needs to be changed was the amount of polygons, to get the effect.

Here is a set up with the Collision deformer. Please have a look. I have introduced a red-material to show the effect clearly. Normally the red “tray” should be not seen at all, and only the deformed should be visible, also, in this example I just used the tray already subdivided, for a better performance, this “collider” (the one with the red material) should be lower in polygon count.

The Collision Deformer Keeps things more manageable.
All the best

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/VIWSGFX643q3PQMO0muYZm0JfI4SW18EfobhQRLQmnH?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 21 July 2016 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2012-05-31

Thank you for your genius.
I did not know that density is needed. The file is made easy to notice the dent for using different colors.

Posted: 21 July 2016 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Bun-H.

The simple idea is here to finalize the Dynamic first and then have the inner shape just evaluated for dents. So the Dynamic set up can be cached and the Collision “dent” effect can be adjusted quickly without waiting for Dynamics to catch up.

Let me know if there is anything else, I’m happy to look into it.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Connectors & Motor ››