A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

High Poly Models in Booles
Posted: 20 May 2016 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2016-02-25

Hi all,

I currently have to work on a relatively pro-sumer machine. (iMac 5k, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 32G RAM) so when I’m given a high poly object and I stick it inside a Boole my viewports goes a little crazy. Flickering, pin wheeling, freezing altogether, is there anything I could be doing to stop this from happening or reducing the lag?

Thanks in advance for any input on this!

- Hunter

Posted: 20 May 2016 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Hunter,

Please get in contact with the support, as this is a technical question, and I nothing I really can reproduce here.
http://www.maxon.net/support/support-questions.html

=======

Some random thoughts:
Interesting, having 32GB and only 2GB for the Graphic card.
Well since I had a lot of trouble with some other apps, keeping the memory workable… I use “iCleanMemory” which keeps things workable.
I see it all to often, that many apps are running at the same time, even web-browsers with their ram-leaking stuff. I think it should be not even needed to be mentioned, to shut all other apps down, when recourses are low.

In Cinema4D,
To my understanding what you see is a calculation first, not a Graphic Card based limitation*.
The amount of polygons are not really interfering with the Graphic card, if the scene is running fine with the two object by them self.
The high amount of Polygons might enable you to shut off the “High Quality” before you even use the Boole. Which should relief at least a little bit of the work.

*If you know what you need, perhaps place the two objects in place, no Boole yet. Set the Display to Skeleton, and organize the Boole Set up. Then use the “Make Edit” option to get the objects without the Boole Constantly working on it.
Switch the Display back. IT should work fine now, but yes, I have no clue how many polygons are in this model, and I have seen models with a polygon set up tighter than pixel-size, which is of course nonsense to do.

If it is a Editable made Subdivision Mesh, there is a plug-in, that tries to get back to the former mesh… Which would perhaps make a lot of sense here.

Try eventually polygon reduction.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      CV-VR rendering ››