A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Combine Materials to One
Posted: 21 March 2016 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2014-04-21

Hi. I hope I can explain myself clearly. I know what end result I’m going for, but am not sure how to ask the question.

I have a wallpaper animation where each piece of paper rolls down while the camera pans left to right, revealing the final look. See the first attachment below.

The material on each wall paper piece is scaled and offset differently to give me the final look of the crayons that I wanted.

In my next take, I’d like to pan the camera in the opposite direction, right to left, and reveal a second look. BUT, this time, I don’t want the wall paper to roll down, I want to create a transition effect like the second attachment.

When I connect all of the original polygons to create one single object, I get selection tags and the material repeated over and over again. See the third attachment.

What I’d like to do is combine all of the materials into one, while maintaining their UV scaling and offset so that I can just animate a single texture (like the second example) instead of animating the 18 textures that were created in the combine function.

I hope all of this makes sense and someone has an easy solution for me.

Thanks,
Jason

Posted: 21 March 2016 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jason,

Why do you need to create a single object?

Just a few lines so we are on the “same page”:

Each Material is in a Texture Tag, each Texture Tag can hold only one Polygon Selection.

I assume the difference between Material and Texture Tag is clear.

Given that, If each of the paper rolls has a different “image”, then you need a larger image to combine all.

Since I do not have your scene file here, I’m not clear about the set up.

Selections can be activeted, several at once, and saved in a new one or overwriten an existing one. Whit can be used for a Texture Tag.

Looking at the gray start of the wall, perhaps you texture the wall with the crayons first. Then set a gray plane before that result and animate with a shrinking cylinder the whole effect. Yes, that is the opposite of the reality.But as result it looks the same. Since the crayons design is unique over the whole wall, this seems to be much easier to handle, as the gray material is always the same, right?

I can set up an upload link, if you like and the file is not too large.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 21 March 2016 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: here is a little animation illustrating the process.
I have used MoGraph here to “Step” through the animation, you can adjust the progress with the

Step-Effector>Effector>Spline Graph (Step Gap, might be interesting as well)
and
Step-Effector>Parameter>Others>Time Offset

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/KnxXkIe2TUq80nFIZs0ZpsLMEDYACmq6Yt1r7axrYon?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 24 March 2016 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2014-04-21

Thanks Dr. Sassi. I apologize for the delayed response…had to leave town for a couple of days. I’ll try out your suggestion. I appreciate your time and help.

Jason

Posted: 24 March 2016 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jason,

Please let me know if there is any question, I’m happy to look into it. Thanks for mentioning the delay reason, thank you, but not really needed, as it is your thread and your project, so I can certainly wait. :o)

If you like, I can set up an upload link (private) so I can see your file and give a more specific suggestion.

With those “changing” animations, one must think like a magician, to open the world of options even more. A magician is more interested about the impression s/he creates,  than how it is done. I hope this is more clear, to use this as an example. Recreating real world requirements in C4D causes often a lot of work, with no additional advantage. ;o)

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW: