A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Sports Motion Graphic Template, Part 05: Creating the Team Image Placeholder Container
Posted: 06 March 2016 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2016-02-25

Hey Vic,

Just having a bit of trouble here with the Fracture issue you illustrated in this lesson. When I turn off the fracture layer and back on again the panels do not reappear. I am running R17 if that helps at all.
Screenshot attached for a better idea. HH7Zg3t

Thanks!

Posted: 06 March 2016 01:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Hunter,

Go to the Object that is the Spline Mask (the green Circle/Square icon) and select it in the Object Manager.

Then in the Attribute manager, go to the Tab: Object.

There check the Create Cap to On.

Please let me know if that worked for you.

I guess you might find a problem, as I did in some cases.

If so, add an addition Connect Object between Fracture and Spline mask.

With the Fracture Object active, go to the Object Manager>Objects and choose “Current State To Object”

Deactivate or delete Fracture Object and use the three polygons as needed.

(As this is a tutorial, the options are discussed here, alternative three polygon objects should work fine as well)

All the best

Here is a one minute clip, going though the set up and showing an alternative approach based on the idea in this tutorial. (You can download it).
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/zO0wWLQhaw6qVbqGqxLHrErZxdxXWS2E3McF2xNVjvH?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 06 March 2016 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2016-02-25

The first solution you suggested was unsuccessful as “Create Cap to On” was already checked unfortunately.

However, simply placing the Fracture parent and it’s children layers in a Connect nurb worked perfectly after I shut off the Fracture object and turned it back on again.

Thanks so much!

Posted: 06 March 2016 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2016-02-25

Apologies,

I seem to have celebrated too soon. While the Connect nurb worked to bring back the fracture the polygons are now immobile no matter what object I select in the object manager, parent or child of the Fracture object.

Posted: 06 March 2016 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for all the information, Hunter,

Is the R17 on the newest version/update: R17.048. With the previous release of R17 I can’t get anything to work with this set up, hence my question.
Since your screenshot indicated a Mac, and I use the same, I can exclude a Mac/Win difference here.

So far I can tell, the instructor likes to introduce here a technique that would allow for all kinds of Spline shapes, and not just use polygons from the start.

Try this, set up the intermediate points to natural and perhaps the number to eight, while all Splines are selected [CMD+click on each], this worked for me (In some rare cases I had to uncheck/check the Fracture Object twice.)

If not, please go with this method:

Select each Spline in that set up and make it editable [c].

I show the set up with a pure Spline Mask set up here:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/apyXt7h4efrYC2DHrFeRWdh8bWzX04fzw66ETjXnDUG?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

I will do some more testing, to find the cases where it might fail, and hopefully can draw some solutions for it.

There is also the support, but I guess it is a pure “information-flow” problem. In the moment the Fracture object is re-activated to make the “polygons” visible, a single click on the A key makes it vanish. [A is the refresh key]. Hence my idea about information flow, as I call it. If the “polygons’ are visible, an immediately convert to polygon process (Current State To Object) must be done, based on this finding.

Let me know if anything of the above works for you.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 06 March 2016 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2016-02-25

Dr. Sassi,

Thank you so much for being so helpful and active on the forum during the weekend! I am running R17.048 (Build RB147424).
I was able to figure it out, however now I’m running into a slightly different issue now, and I suspect after this all should be right.

There is just a bit of flickering on the panel layers as they animate out from the area occupied by the boolean cube.

I made a quick screen capture here for reference

Thank you so much again,
Hunter

Posted: 06 March 2016 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks a lot, Hunter, for the feedback.

The next theme that you mentioned would be about Part 6. Which means, you have to open a new thread. Please use the button close to the tutorial Left sidebar, Information tab (vs the Play-List tab) and there the Help with this Tutorial button. This keep things organized and will allow everyone to read only about the themes discussed in the given tutorials. Thank you very much in advance. You can just copy and paste your question.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW: