A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

HARDWARE: what hair and other dynamic simulation needs?
Posted: 17 December 2015 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2015-04-11

is it RAM, CPU, GPU or just patience?
i just build a pc with all components recommended by an expert builder but all i got was frustration.
the 1st task i tried was hair simulation, the result was my 8 cores imac with r15 beats my 16 cores pc with r17!!!!
Please somebody help me what i really need for best result in hair and other dynamic simulation???

Posted: 17 December 2015 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Flaviomarialva,

This is not really the place where we discuss those combinations, r15 vs 17 and different platt-forms.

What MAXON is offering is a) The Help Content* and b) http://www.maxon.net/en/products/cinebench/overview.html

I’m not certain how far the support might answer that or if someone even has put and 1on1-training. I guess option b) will certainly show you how good this expert did his/her work. You might google Cinebench results, there are long lists with comparisons.

In the Help, you might find this helpful:

HAIR and Multi-processors
When rendering, HAIR makes use of all available processor cores. But note that, for technical reasons, only a single core is used for the preparation phase (Status Bar: Preparing Hair … ). So, if you want to squeeze every bit of processing power it can be a good idea to spread the hair over multiple HAIR Objects.

So, if a single processor in the R15 set up is faster than a single processor in the r17 set up, you might have your answer. A self build machine, well, that is certainly a long discussion, but Cinebench will clear that in a simple way for you.

BTW, I think I avoid since way over a decade any Win vs Mac discussions, and I so don’t miss them.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 17 December 2015 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2015-04-11

Dr. Sassi first is an honor to receive your feedback, I know that is not the right place to praise too, but I’m a big fan.
It was not clear before but my goal is not to compare platforms and versions,
but knowing which piece of hardware is more demanded when I calculate the hair cache. I wonder if I need more RAM, another processor or video card or both in addition to RAM, regardless of platform.
I thank you and apologize for not having been clear before, unfortunately I do not have a good English.

best regards and thanks again!!

Flavio

Posted: 17 December 2015 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks a lot, Flavio.

I write those stuff [‘vs”] in my reply, as we have a public forum here. Normally, those discussion attract all kind of people, great knowledgable people and sadly enough trolls (trolls are just bullies in worn out clown costumes). I like to keep this forum useful and friendly. Any question related to the theme here is welcome and will not receive any arrogance or snobbism :o) Any question ask, after received an answer is hopefully knowledge. Which means a step forward.

I did not received your question as a “Mac vs Win” question. Perhaps I’m too careful. Sorry, to make you un-comfortable with this.

Do you have anything in your Window set up that is like the “Activity Monitor” on your Mac? Just so you really can see if you have maxed out your system with the Hair request? I use the Activity monitor often to see what I’m doing.

My impression is normally, that I’m overwhelmed with a question like that. Following some discussions on REDUSER.net, have shown me how easily those system fail or excels, and I’m a far away from knowing it. The options to get a great system or one that has somewhere a bottle-neck is given. Even by using the best and highest performance parts, doesn’t guarantee the best outcome for an application. Given the RED example, and wrangling with 6K raw footage, my use is certainly very critical of hardware. But as I was able to read over the years, things changes constantly. Here I know I’m behind what can be known, as my main field is software, not hardware. I like to work, to not patch systems and worry about them. But that is just me, not representative nor suggested as best practice, speaking of hardware.

Hence my suggestion to use Cinebench, and of course any diagnostic software you can get your fingers on. You have an individual machine, which means it will be presented with an individual result. Am I wrong with that assumption? 

Please never be concerned with any language barriers, have been there and know it. I try to understand everyone, and sometimes it needs some posts, but I never mind, not at all. This field is international, and so I like to keep it professional. Only trolls make fun of others. I think I understood you very well. Thanks for your trust.

My best wishes for your testing and let me know if there is any other question.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 17 December 2015 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2015-04-11

No, no, thank YOU, again!! Its funny i can hear you when i’m reading you!!!
I did it, and on my mac the Activity Monitor shows that the cpu works hard during the task,
but on my brand new pc, a pretty new environment for me, the software that i found, shows low cpu activity during the same task with the same conditions.
Well, living and learning, if i get a solution i’ll post here.

Thanks again i really appreciate your attention!!!

Best regards,
or,
once you’ve been here,
big hug!!!

Flavio

Flavio

Posted: 17 December 2015 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks Flavio, for the update!

Yes, checking in detail what is going on will certainly help to find out what is going on.

Perhaps contacting now the support, with the information you have gathered is a good idea.

This team is way more hard ware savvy than I ever will, as they deal with it way more often. But again, individual builds might be difficult to support.

Yes, since I listen to a lot of tutorials on my own, I know that feeling. Thank you very much!

I certainly would like to visit one day! But currently I have no plans—according to my travel budget ;o)

Take care! :o)

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Curved Knife ››