A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Material question—based on an image reference.  Help me!
Posted: 10 August 2015 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2015-07-07

Dear All,

Who can help me to solve this problem which I have met for a long time. I also attached below picture.
I use C4D software to make the material. I want to create the material in circle yellow. I can not make the edge of material.The color of edge is metal.

Please tell me the shortest way to do that.

Thanks so much for your fruitful support.

I can be reached at Add: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

BGs

Posted: 10 August 2015 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Minh Quan,

I have moved the question to the Q&A forum. The tutorial forum is exclusively for questions only about the video based content in Cineversity.

I have extended the headline, just “Help me!” is not defining the question for others to find anything in the forum. Sorry to start your first thread here with “moderator stuff”, not the welcome I like to give you. I hope you will see how much that makes a difference when you search something here on you own. Thanks for considering.

The image is very tiny. I would do it with two objects with different material. So the metal material sits on a tube like framing on the element.

The reflection of that material might be based on the Environment channel. If the studio is not just a simple locked off shot, the 3D representation must be interactive, and the environment channel works much faster here, especially if the material needs to have an blurred result.

IF the image is just a still merged over a greenscreen, then it might be rendered with “Roughness”. To check out some more, perhaps you download the presets of this set:
http://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/cinema_4d_reflectance_metal_materials_preset

If you have a larger image or a different reference, something larger than an image where the part in question is more than a few pixels, I’m happy to look into something different. You also can just describe in a follow up post here, what do you see in the example, What quality you see in the material.

To be honest, I’m only a big fan of presets and all of that, to brainstorm or to have those things available to study them. What a 3D artist as every other artist needs, is to train his or her eye and study the options inside of the tools available. This will allow you to work freely and more based on your own artistic vision. Presets are a very bad idea to replace knowledge and skills, but a great opportunity to learn and explore. This is true for any area, e.g., photography, film, etc., With this having said, I recommend any preset collection to use as a study base, or just as a brainstorming option.

I have written it here many times, the material channels in the material editor is your “shopping list”. The shopping list is the list in terms of explore what you have in real life in front of you, as in this image above. Then go channel by channel and explore if the channel might would have an influence in recreating it. After a while this works like a second language, you translate everything into parameter. In other words you have trained your eye.

Let me know if you like to share that shopping list about the material above. It is easier then to discuss the aesthetic wanted, as I can “see” in your words what you see in the material.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]