A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Messed up Motion Clips
Posted: 19 May 2015 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2012-04-04

So continuing with my inkjet bubble animations I’m attempting to make a line of bubbles that grow and collapse in a somewhat random manner.  To do this I’ve made an XRef of the bubble collapse and growth and made multiple copies of that in my master project.  I’ve created motion clips of that animation and am speeding up the animation and offsetting the clips in time and repeating them to create a random-ish look.  A square resistor is supposed to glow red to start the bubble growth, and the best way I could figure out how to do that while offsetting that element was to use a proximal shader tied to another cube that flies down to the resistor and flies back.

The problem is that after a few playbacks the Motion Clip animation gets all screwed up.  Elements are moving when they should not be, or they’re resetting prematurely.  A bubble will grow about 1/3 of the way and then pop back to nothing.  Scrubbing backwards would not reset the animations, so I thought letting the animation play all the way through to reset everything would work, but it didn’t.  Stuff is just flashing on and off, all willy-nilly.

I’ve attached a test scene and the XRef.  I have a feeling this is a bug, but it would be nice to get a confirmation.

Any suggestions as to a better way to do this would be welcome.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

File Attachments
Multi-Bubbles Motion Clips.zip  (File Size: 388KB - Downloads: 344)

Posted: 19 May 2015 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Shawn,

I hope I get your target correctly.

Given the current set up, my idea is, that the gaps between the Motion Clips are causing the trouble. While the gap is there, anything else takes over.

If I set a copy of that Motion clip to “delta-start” 91 and leave “delta end” at 0, then I have a clip that can fill the gap. Perhaps have one or two frames “blend” or overlap. The clip that is produced with “∆start-∆end” has no animation, so it directs the animation as needed.

Let me know if that works for you. BTW, if you set up one of these “filler-clips”, right mouse click and use the “Convert Motion Clip to Motion Source”, so you have it for all the others.

All the best

File Attachments
Multi-Bubbles Motion Clips 2.zip  (File Size: 1863KB - Downloads: 209)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 29 May 2015 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2012-04-04

Hi:

Sorry for the delayed reply; I’ve been jumping between a bunch of projects.

This basic approach of filling the gaps seems to work.  The main problem was happening at the start of the animation.

Thanks.

Shawn

Posted: 29 May 2015 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you, Shawn, for the feedback.

All the best.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]