A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Motion Tracker doesn’t do a complete solve
Posted: 18 May 2015 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2012-08-16

I have been using Motion Tracker quite a bit lately and have had good success. Currently I have run into a track that is cause me some problems. I’m trying to track a clip that is 2451 frames long. When I solve for 3D it only tracks the first 2/3 of the last 1/3 but not all of it. I have successfully tracked the complete clip but the track was not a good one so I added a bunch more track points. Has anyone ran into this? I have automatic and manual tracks set but I’m to sure what more I can do. The camera is moving around a kitchen island but it’s pretty steady.

Posted: 18 May 2015 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Zorpzero,

From the start I never tracked a long clip like that in C4D. So, as I believe that getting the footage is out of the question, size-wise and for other reasons perhaps, you might check with the support. http://www.maxon.net/support/support-questions.html

What I can offer, is a quick run down, what I would check:

Is the lens data correct. Here some lenses provide the 35mm equivalent but calculated with a sensor crop already. What lens do you use, is there a lot of distortion?

Is the sensor data correct, often companies provide, e.g., 1/2 inch sizes, which uses the old surrounding tube size, the real sensor is much smaller. If you shot with a red, did you calculated the smaller window if you shot with lower resolution?

These two values have shown absolute critical in my use, to get good results. At least they provide more certainty into the mix.

As you wrote, you are one time through with a bad solve, that indicates that the memory and the algorithm is able to work on the long clip. Perhaps save and restart, or have an eye on the memory (This is just wild guess) One thing that can screw up the solve of a 2D track is certainly zooming and rolling shutter.

A kitchen counter sounds like a something reflective?, perhaps even chrome parts in it? Check trackers that are not directly “clued” on the surface. Check out:
https://plus.google.com/b/104476677499865416121/104476677499865416121/posts
Scroll down to clip number 03 in the Chinese alley scene. Is there any tip that would help to get bad trackers deleted?

This sound maybe awkward and against what I normally do, Track the first half and then the second. Do both work fine? If not, you might see already clearer where the problem is.

I think this is so far all I can give you, with the little information I have.

Let me know if cleaning up the 2D track has helped. Adding new trackers needs precision as well.

You might know all of that, but I have to mention it.

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Messed up Motion Clips ››