A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Workflow resource
Posted: 10 May 2015 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2015-01-06

Since C4d is so vast, I’m looking for a suggested workflow that includes what order I should do the following:

Rigging
Sculpting
Materials (Bodypaint)
Hair
Lighting

A book or article on the topic would also be appreciated. Thank you.

Posted: 10 May 2015 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Andy.Man,

I’m tempted to move it to the “Tutorial Suggestion Forum”, would you mind?

You are certainly spot on that this would need a discussion as long as a book. It would be a book written by many people, to give a good foundation, if it should be based on real world experience. Yes, there are certainly logical steps in the production, but then there are parts that could be split up, and connected later. ... and there is the constant change, independent if you are an “indie”, a studio or connected to random clients.

All of that leads certainly to a book in the size of the Handbook (now 2nd edition) of the VFX-Society, which might be the closest to the work you ask here for your area of expertise.

With the fast progress in 3D, I think such a book would be out of business before it would have been printed. Hence my idea about tutorials. Then again, the tools allow for so much, it might be a long series, or better a weekly discussion.

Then there is the part where this work (you mentioned) fits into a bigger pipeline, a feature film pipeline. This would include how to connect to the practical footage and in which way it is composed back in. Certainly part of many peoples work, and with no doubt a huge influence in the set up of each project. In you list, given the last point, I miss motion tracking, etc, and after the project is done, how to “merge” all of that back into it. Or Architectural visualization, to name only one of the many things we can do, and the list goes on. I would know even where to start, to get a complete list of things.

Yes, your list directs more to character-animation. Even if not combined with practical footage, it is a large field, with many variables. One way, which I do since the late ‘90s: I collect DVDs (now Blu-rays) with making-of material. Most of them are not really supportive, but my collection is around 1,500 titles by now, and the idea of how people approach their tasks is certainly demonstrated—if one combines all of these “mini-documentaries”. Certainly a reason why I think of this field as large, of as you labeled it correctly as vast as well.

A huge help was for me certainly to follow around hundred selected courses at FXPHD. Over at FXPHD you have people from studios creating a 10 week course of their specialty. But, yes, not so much about character animation. I’m not really certain if that can be separated and be successful.

So far, the AnimationMentor option has shown huge success for people who are really motivated. My impression about them, you get the to know how it works for them and can discuss your own needs.

I certainly miss a lot of other options. What I like is—well—researched material. There is certainly a lot of material available that is just a waste of everyones time. But that is perhaps hard to filter—from the outside. From the 6,000 tutorials (paid viewing, not free stuff) that I have seen, I wish 1/3 I could have avoided. But that is the nature of the beast. Which will be also true for books, there are good ones and simply time wasters. However, the amount of books produced a decade ago is not longer available. The teaching methods have changed, and I guess we are on the border of something new there as well. We will see.

Even more broad about VFX and Character-animation, I love to read Cinefex since many years. Why? Because it is based on completed feature film productions. Back in time in Germany, I had a subscription of Digital Production. There is certainly more, but check if it really supports your target, or if it is just cool stuff, with very little “beef” in it.

Perhaps creating a local user group is much more effective for your personal grow. Think about it. ;o)

My target here would be more to have 15 minute interviews, with people who use CINEMA4D and do this kind of work. Just a thought.

My best wishes.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 10 May 2015 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2015-01-06

Thanks doc. Feel free to move this post wherever.

I’ll certainly look for a user group in my area.

Posted: 10 May 2015 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, Andy.Man!

I hope my little “odyssey” was supportive as well. The problem is mostly that people don’t really like to share their best “trade-secrets”, or explain it in a way - as if they have solved the world problems, to keep beginners out. ;o)

I think to share “face to face” and with that have a more specific conversation might save a lot of time. As a side effect, getting a good personal network allows to get bigger projects and work that would be otherwise impossible to handle.

Good luck with finding some great people for your targets! :o)

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]