A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

1 of 2
Question on how to best delay the playback of cloned grouped multi-objects
Posted: 16 December 2014 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2013-09-19

I have created a grid which is composed of a group set of objects. Each element of this grouped object has been animated to appear (keyframes).

I am trying to delay the playback of the cloned copies as they appears.

I tried using an Inheritance & delay effector with no success. I get the feeling its due to the fact its multiple objects grouped together with individual keyframes which is why the effectors aren’t working.

Thoughts, suggestions.

Project File

Posted: 16 December 2014 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi CreativeRaul,

I have attached an file (more a sketch) how I would do it. Just set up the few states of the animations in static poses and “blend” among these. This allows you to set the Key frames as before (kind of, as you don’t set any keyframes, you set key poses! Again, no keyframes for the clones itself.) Each group under the Cloner is a perfect copy of the others, except for the parameters! Must match otherwise. This needs first of all one Cloner Object that produces one single result, e.g., no grid, etc.! This becomes the modify (e.g., Plain) Effector.
The Grid producing Cloner Effector will get then the PSR (pos, rot, scale) Effector to move the clones into the modifying falloff area. Have a look to the attached scene files, it is easier to follow my few otherwise “cryptic” words ;o)

Any other set up would be based on a Step Effector. But for your idea, just skip that, you can set an start point of animation to a specific position with the native tools. To fine tune that for 170 clones, ...good luck.

One question, you have used 380º for the circle animation, anything special, that I miss. I have set up my sketch with a 360º. I avoided to just copy your material, so it doesn’t show up elsewhere.

Good luck

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_14_MGmd_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 90KB - Downloads: 183)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 16 December 2014 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

Dr. Sassi,

The 380º is a mistake. I meant to just do 360º.

Thank you for the quick solution. I will implement the direction you have provided.

Best wishes,
- Raul

Posted: 16 December 2014 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Raul,

Thanks for the addition information about the 380º. Sometimes there is a reason for “overshooting”. So I was curious; Just to understand the set up.

I like the set up provided a lot, as it allows for a huge flexibility. I hope it works for you. BTWe, the example would work nice with a 6x6 or like your 17x10, the clone in the middle needs special attention other wise.

My best wishes

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 16 December 2014 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

Dr. Sassi,

I welcome the suggestion.

I would like to clarify my original question since I have reviewed the solution you have provided and realized it is not resolving my stated issue. I am trying to delay the playback of the individual cloned nodes as they appear so the first node is fully played out while the latest node that appears is just beginning to play out its animated keyframes.

I have restructured the cloners and nodes as you suggested hoping the effectors would have an effect but I have not achieved the desired result.

Project File

Posted: 16 December 2014 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

Dr. Sassi

I found a solution using the Time Effector to achieve the desired effect out of the delay of the nodes.

Posted: 16 December 2014 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the scene file, Raul.

To say it is not working and having ignored anything I have set up, makes me wonder how our communication works. The provided file shows me a set up, but nothing in it has anything to do with what I have had suggested at all. Just to answer that “it isn’t working” ;o) The Effectors are all in the top Cloner of the set up, also not suggested in my file. Two different things.

So, I’m not certain how to communicate it differently. I was obviously not able to communicate my idea well enough. Perhaps this might help:

The first cloner provides one ONE clone, not seven from seven. The one clone provided in my suggestion is based on a blend of different states of the object-group. In my file the [Null; Null.1; Null.2.] The Plain effector is set to Modify Clones, so the Blend [mode] in the cloner works as animation. In that way, the animation is based on the Plain.Modify.

The whole set up, as I repeated it several times above (to make certain it is transferred) has “NO KEY” frames for the clones (the child object under the Cloner. The provided file has and several Effectors I haven’t used. What do I miss?

Please check my file carefully to get the idea, I like to have that option in your tool-box, just in case. The attached file was very different

All the best

Sassi

Edit: the attached file hopefully shows the core of the idea, just let it play./edit

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_14_MGmd_11.c4d.zip  (File Size: 68KB - Downloads: 172)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 16 December 2014 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

If that works, Raul, great. :o)

I hesitate to suggest the Time Effector. Why? Because it distorts the animation time if used with a Falloff, or if the Effector is given less influence, the, e.g., rotation moves backwards.
If that is no problem for you, changing the timing, then you have what you need of course. :o)

My best wishes

Sassi

CreativeRaul - 16 December 2014 07:32 PM

Dr. Sassi

I found a solution using the Time Effector to achieve the desired effect out of the delay of the nodes.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 16 December 2014 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

Dr. Sassi,

I understand your example and I thank you for taking the time in generating it.

Posted: 16 December 2014 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Raul.

I’m more interested in that you have what you need, than that “my stuff” is used. Of course I like to make certain that the ideas we exchange are “duplicated” on each side. Hence my question of the degree.

I love to share whatever I can, sometimes it will be only the spark that pushes the next idea, which is great. On the end all that counts is your story that you like to share and how you present it. I have the impression that you work on something larger, and I’m sure I will understand more when I see the “bigger picture”. I hope you can share a link once it is done, if I assume correctly at all.

My best wishes

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 16 December 2014 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

Dr. Sassi,

You are correct it is part of a collaborative project. I will post the results to the final piece when it goes live.

Until than I have to keep it all behind the curtain.

Posted: 16 December 2014 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks again, Raul.

I got that, and I understand the difficulties based on that!

Again, my best wishes. :o)

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 16 December 2014 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

Dr. Sassi,

I was wondering if you have any suggestions for getting better playback performance out of this cloner setup.

Project File

I’m trying to figure out how to remove the over lapping lines but the playback is so slow I can’t figure out how.

Posted: 17 December 2014 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Raul, you might check how much it improves if you got to medium (LOD). IF that gives you enough visual feedback. Low is certainly in this case not useable.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 17 December 2014 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

Dr. Sassi,

That option changes the quality of the output to much in the viewport and render window to get an adequate result.

I am wondering if there is another option to improve the cloner performance. I’ve cached the cloner with no success in performance.

Project File.

Posted: 17 December 2014 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

Dr. Sassi,

I discovered a solution to my performance problem. Seems with the existing set up in my cloner the Plain effector was having an issue scaling up and moving the nodes in the cloner.

I resolved the problem with the step effector and visibility checked on.

Thank you again for all the suggestions and executed solutions you provided.

Best wishes,
- Raul

1 of 2