A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Octane Render Pros and Cons? GPU and CUDA Render in R17?
Posted: 12 December 2014 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2011-12-01

I am considering purchasing Octane Render for the GPU render capabilities. Does anyone have any opinions, pros or cons about Octane? I read a previous post in the forum but it didn’t really have any info from users experienced with using the render engine with C4D. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Any word or rumors from Maxon development if GPU rendering might be a possibility in R17?

Thank you

Posted: 12 December 2014 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Edit on Aug 08, 2015:  http://www.maxon.net/products/new-in-cinema-4d-r17/overview.html  /edit

Hi Devoted,

Is this a tutorial suggestion? It reads differently. You might have more chances for answers in the Q&A forum. I’m happy to move it there.

If there are any news, you might see it on the MAXON web-site first. Developers and Testers are under NDA. People who know will not talk, people who talk will not know—as usual in such cases.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 12 December 2014 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2011-12-01

Yep, sorry please move. I was reading a thread about Octane and didn’t realize it was going to create the new thread in the tutorial section. Thanks

Posted: 12 December 2014 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome. Interesting theme—no question.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 15 December 2014 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2011-05-31

Not sure about R17 but I just picked Octane up. It is an awesome piece of software. The only thing you have to worry about is your current video card. It really makes C4D super responsive and far more enjoyable and usable.

Personally I think Maxon will eventually have to move to a GPU based option or abandon rendering enhancements all together and just let a 3rd party provider fill that need, kinda like they did with particles. The speed increase really makes a huge difference.

At any rate you would have to wait until September to get it and if you have paying gigs the price of Octane will pay for itself long before that.

Cheers
Steve

Posted: 15 December 2014 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2011-12-01

I did go ahead and purchase it yesterday. I am pretty impressed so far. The renders just look more real. I am using the beta R16 version and haven’t had any issues yet but I am still in the testing stage. My GPU is the Nvidia K5000, I will probably add a Tesla K20 in a few months.

My main concern is rendering long animations with Octane. Have you done any long renders with Octane yet? Something like 1000 plus frames? For long animations I have a 5 machine render farm I use with Team Render. It is very stable and I have never had a problem with days of continuous rendering. I am not sure if I would trust a GPU to render for days. XEON CPUs are designed to handle a constant heavy workload. What is the longest animation you have rendered with Octane? Any issues with the GPU overheating?

Thanks for the feedback - Devoted

Posted: 15 December 2014 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2011-05-31

Ok so I am officially jealous now. Really nice video card !

My renders are pretty minimal in both length and complexity. I do mainly motion graphics. I have however spent considerable time on the OTOY C4D forum board. You should definitely check those out. The only time I have heard of overheating issues is with multiple Titan cards and no water cooling system. Also you should upgrade to the 2.14 beta version. Much cleaner workflow.

From what I understand the amount of Vram on the card is more of an issue than overheating. If I were you I would take one of your multi day renders and run it through Octane to see how it fairs. Your card should come with heat monitoring software and you can set Octane to Medium so can do other work while it renders. You may be surprised days may turn into hours. I would be interested in the results.

Cheers
Steve

Posted: 16 December 2014 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2011-12-01

Thanks for the input. I am actually using the 2.14 version now. I am currently working on a 30 second animation using Octane render. I will compare the same file with C4D Physical Render and my render farm. Once finished I will enter the data into this post.

Thanks - Devoted

Posted: 16 December 2014 03:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2011-05-31

Sounds awesome. Looking forward to your findings.

Posted: 16 June 2015 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-12-13
Devoted - 12 December 2014 02:56 PM

I am considering purchasing Octane Render for the GPU render capabilities. Does anyone have any opinions, pros or cons about Octane? I read a previous post in the forum but it didn’t really have any info from users experienced with using the render engine with C4D. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Any word or rumors from Maxon development if GPU rendering might be a possibility in R17?

Thank you

OCTANE does not support Teamrender as far as i know.

Posted: 16 June 2015 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-12-13
showmill200 - 15 December 2014 07:49 PM

Not sure about R17 but I just picked Octane up. It is an awesome piece of software. The only thing you have to worry about is your current video card. It really makes C4D super responsive and far more enjoyable and usable.

Personally I think Maxon will eventually have to move to a GPU based option or abandon rendering enhancements all together and just let a 3rd party provider fill that need, kinda like they did with particles. The speed increase really makes a huge difference.

At any rate you would have to wait until September to get it and if you have paying gigs the price of Octane will pay for itself long before that.

Cheers
Steve

as far as i know octane does not support team render, so the gpu advantage is melted down fast.

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      GRAINY REFLECTIONS ››