A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

cv artsmart plugin - can’t fade up texture alpha
Posted: 29 November 2014 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2014-09-03

Greetings!
I have successfully used a plain effector to fade up mograph type in other projects.
(Plain effector passes by, type fades up.)
see this tutorial here for example of technique:
http://vimeo.com/55230430

But when I try to do the same thing to a title using CV-Artsmart object (made the title in .AI, imported using artsmart plugin) I cannot fade up the letters.
It’s either on or off, no in-between.
I can skip artsmart and use mograph only, but then I lose some of artsmarts capabilities.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

cheers,
bruce

Posted: 29 November 2014 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

EDIT: Scroll down, a stable solution is provided @ post #13/edit

Hi Bruce,

Please share the file with the problem, perhaps set up a simplified version (No lights no other stuff in it, plug-ins or so, etc, thank you very much).

Perhaps you check first how you have set up the scene: Is each of the letter a single clone? If not, it will not work as in MoText for example, where each letter is practically a single clone.

If the Ai file is used as a single object, you need to set this up with a gradient in the material directly.

I will go more into detail when I see your file, OK?

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 01 December 2014 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: Perhaps this file might help. Have an eye on the green and red pyramid (Null.start and Null.end). These two Nulls define the start and end point of the gradient set to work (via XPresso), no cycle.

The Fracture Object is only there to let you use the Effector as well, just as a hint, hopefully not to confuse the set up… ;o)

As a side note: while the effector is off, press the C key while the Fracture Object is active. The resulting objects can be then used as clones. [file ..._11.c4d]

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_14_TXmg_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 43KB - Downloads: 130)
CV2_r16_drs_14_TXmg_11.c4d.zip  (File Size: 108KB - Downloads: 176)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 02 December 2014 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2014-09-03

Hi Dr S,
thanks for your reply and the helpful files. After doing much tinkering (and comparing to your files) it appears the solution was simply changing the color of the FRACTURE object from white to black.
Pardon the late reply, I did not receive any email warnings of your response. Have to check my cine settings.
cheers,
bruce w.

Posted: 02 December 2014 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Bruce W.,

Yes of course that works! It has since the introduction of MoGraph in 2006.

Even by just flying thought that tutorial you have had linked, I saw that this was mentioned there.
It is something that is true as well for the Cloner Object, which we had discussed many times here in the forum.
Based on that, assuming that was followed, why would you otherwise link this tutorial here, so I looked for solutions beyond that.

My bad, I should stop answering stuff once ad for ever if not a scene file is provided, period. It just makes no sense to guess.

Nice that you got your solution

BTW, I did not got an e-mail even for this, I just checked in, as in the past days something seems broken, but I can’t find a pattern so far.

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 02 December 2014 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2014-09-03

Hm, seems I spoke to soon. The transparency fade up works in the preview (command+R) but when I render the letters are not visible. Never seen that before. I will continue to dig, but do you have any thoughts?
I’ll post the scene file as well…
bw

Posted: 02 December 2014 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Please send a scene file.

... or check out and compare the attached file with your set up.

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_14_TXmg_21.c4d.zip  (File Size: 148KB - Downloads: 186)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 02 December 2014 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2014-09-03

Wow, very frustrating. Numerous reply attempts with file attached with zero results. Tried multiple browsers. Moved file to desktop in case it was too deep. Ridiculous.

In regards to your replies: thank you, yes, the effector driven fade up works great on simple extruded text. But not so well if you want to keep your imported .ai file in the Artsmart plugin. Looks good in the preview window (command R) but doesn’t actually render properly.
I’ll try and attach my file again.
thanks for your attempts,
bruce

Posted: 02 December 2014 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2014-09-03

ok, for whatever reason I am not capable of posting an attachment. just goes blank after I hit submit.
I’m going for a run to vent my frustrations.
sheesh.
bw

Posted: 02 December 2014 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Sorry, I have that problem from time to time as well, Mime type seems to be wrong, even I do my zip files always in the exact same way.

Check your Cineversity PM, I will send a e-mail for the file. (Just the file, please)

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 02 December 2014 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I got your file, thanks a lot, BW.

In the moment you have set up the scene, de-activate the CV-ArtSmart Object. Click on the green arrow to get the red “x” instead. Just for this object. If left on, it over-writes the settings in the Fracture Objects, and sets them back to white. Perhaps you check this information in the CV-ToolBox forum, as this is monitored by Rick who knows his stuff very well.

By doing so (shut off the Parent-object), I get my result stable. Perhaps I miss something and Rick will tell what is possible.

As alternative, you can pull the part under the CV-ArtSmart away from the Parent and it will leave it as is, but produce if left on the next set up instantly.

(Edit: I did more tests, and even if it stays on “black”, save and reopen the file: the setting is back to white. So, set the scene up, switch off and get stable results /edit)

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 02 December 2014 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Joined  2014-09-03

That seems to have done the trick, thanks! Out of all the million different options, turning off the plugin did not occur to me.
cheers,
bw

Posted: 03 December 2014 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, BW.

I keep the software normally free of plug ins, partly to explore native solution and partly to keep my workflow native for tutorials. As a side effect, I’m not used to them, even if they are often more than useful. So I had to explore it. Sounds perhaps weird, not even the CV plugs. Well, based on my work in the ‘90s, where I had spend around $10K in plug ins, I was so dependent after a while, and that has harmed me of course. The only place I use Plugs these days, and very limited is in Ae and Ps. Not even a dozen, easy to keep up with and install where ever I am. Not that I suggest that to anyone else, but doing tutorials since over ten years made me very comfortable to stay native. Again, I certainly miss some stuff.

I hope you can get what you want, with that little switch-trick. I hope Rick has some ideas how to establish the plug with an option to store the settings somehow. Each time you switch it on, for some changes, you have to “reset things. Not nice. Again, I might miss something…

Have a great evening

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 03 December 2014 01:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Stable Workaround - or even a one step fix for now.

IN SHORT: As the Fracture switches back to white (100%) each time the CV-ArtSmart “restarts”, the first effector used needs to be “negative 100%” to counteract this.

======

Take a Shader Effector. In the shading tab, place first a Layer Shader in it. Inside of the Layer Shader two Color Shader (the standard—not the MoGraph Color shader!)

Set the top Color Shader to white—100%

Set the lower Color Shader to black—0%

Now set the top layer to Subtract.

Set the Shader Effector to Mode>Color Mode>On (Use Alpha/Strength to off)

This effector must be in any Fracture Object that switches back to white and the Effector must be in top position.

After that any other Effector starts with black as provided clone color and with that, the Effector works as if the Fracture would have been set to black in the first place.

Perhaps that might be included in an future update in the plug in, but for now, that is the my solution for now.

======

Works as well with the MoGraph Color shader in the Alpha channel!

Enjoy

Sassi

File _01 is based on the explanation above
File _11 is an example for the alpha channel

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_14_MGno_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 57KB - Downloads: 172)
CV2_r16_drs_14_MGno_11.c4d.zip  (File Size: 67KB - Downloads: 185)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 03 December 2014 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Joined  2014-09-03

Excellent, that seems very stable. Good to add to the quiver of knowledge.
gracias,
bw

Posted: 03 December 2014 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, BW.

Even if I repeat myself here, as I said it many times, to know MoGraph very well, one needs to know the flow of information (and with that—which kind of information is working in a set up).

Have a great day

Signature 

NEW: