A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Difference…. Connect Point/Edge & Edge cut
Posted: 30 November 2014 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  238
Joined  2012-03-02

Hi,

Anyone one can give some detail on Connect Point/Edge & Edge cut… whats the different in these 2 tools and, When and where we have to use only Connect Point/Edge & Edge Cut tools…?

Thanks.

Posted: 30 November 2014 03:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

HI iacdxb,

The first difference is certainly given that the Edge-Cut has an interface (Attribute Manager) and the Connect Point/Edges has not.

The Connect Point/Edges creates just the connections of half the edge to edge or point to point. Sure, in edge mode use the command twice and your get three new edges among the selected, but it is rather a fast and quick way to get a middle edge among them or an edge between two points or among many.

The Edge-Cut itself lets you chose more, even if an N-Gon is preferred, which the Edge-Cut delivers only (if at all) in the end of each new edge “path”.
The Edge-Cut has advanced settings, such as Offset, Scale and Subdivision and optional the before mentioned N-Gon checkbox.

I found it always rude “to state the obvious”, which is certainly not my intention here, but what more can or should I say than what is given—other than in the manual already?
The Connect Point/Edge is a quick but limited way, compared to the Edge-Cut, but the Connect Point/Edge has an option that the Edge-Cut has not: connect points.

The option to have N-Gons is a valid advantage for modeling, not suggested to keep those, but it keeps things clear for the time being.

The Menu sorts it in a command and create sub-menu, perhaps a nice indicator, as I think that create shows more the use for a user/artist input. While the command is kind of fixed and faster.

I hope that helps, there are often several ways to do things, and sometimes it is more important what the artist prefers in a given situation, than an absolute measurement what “is the best” all the time.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 18 December 2014 04:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  238
Joined  2012-03-02

Edited…..

Thanks.

Posted: 01 January 2015 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks iacdxb, I try to combine here double posts, to keep things simple. Thanks for understanding :o)

If there is any question, let me know. I’m happy to explore it.

Happy New Year

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]