A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Text in Body Paint
Posted: 29 October 2014 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2006-12-18

Hi,

I’m having some problems with applying text in Body paint.  I can get the text to appear - but it repeats itself (in tiles) - with I don’t want.  I also want to be able to move it around and position it, which I cannot seem to do. 

I’m sure its a matter of some settings, but I am so new to body paint, and this is the first I really have used it - and it’s the best option I have for this project to apply this material.

Thanks! 

Scott

Posted: 29 October 2014 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Scott,

Yes, BodyPaint 3D needs some attention, it has a learning curve and sometimes 3 or even 4 things need to be set before things start to work.

Please share your scene file, so I can check the UV and other parameters of your scene. Tiles indicates an improper set up of the scene for that purpose.

Move
If this option is enabled, you can drag in the Texture view to create and move the text. The text will be fixed in place as soon as you release the mouse button — a second drag will create and move a new copy of the text.

I will have a look later this evening into it.

All the best
Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 29 October 2014 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2006-12-18

See attached file.  My text work is rather simple, just black - I may need to a PNG image for a specific logo, but I imagine once I figure out what I’m missing - I should have it made!

Thanks..

File Attachments
RoadPlate_512.c4d.zip  (File Size: 100KB - Downloads: 172)

Posted: 29 October 2014 11:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Scotty71,

So, as promised, I had a look this evening into it.

Yes, the repeating stuff is annoying, but easy to fix. Click on your original scene’s “Texture Tag”, the Tile setting will tell you 10% or ten tiles, so each stroke you do, will show up 10x10+100 times. BodyPaint 3D should be set to 1 tile each time, except you like repetition a lot.

The UV was not set up at all. Check out the Wizard in BodyPaint 3D, it helps to get quickly started. When you are more savvy, you might ignore that function, but for now, that is a good idea to know it.

I have create a new texture and placed all the Polygons as black little line on it. You might wonder that there are more lines than you have created polygons. Well, BodyPaint 3D and N-gons are not compatible, so BodyPaint 3D creates the things it needs. If that is to your advantage is questionable. So, do your self a favor, use N-Gons all day long for intermediate modeling steps, but on the end of the day, get ride of it, it is not a good practice to have the final result based on N-Gons.

A word to that model, long triangles are the worse thing you might have, the best are square polygons. Avoid the long triangles and try to get always something close to a square (not always, if at all possible) you will see how often that pays off. (I have not changed it, but it was hard for me to leave it that way—to be honest. Please take that as tip, not as critic—thank you.

If you like to set text and logos on it, you might do it in Photoshop—I think I have given you the best texture for that possible, increase the size if needed, it will work. If you are not clear where is what on that texture, just draw in BP3D some marks on it (save and load in PS)

Let me know if there is any question. The BodyPaint 3D series that I have done a long time ago is certainly not out-dated, only the interface has changed a bit.

All the best

Sassi

left image—clean (based on the given polygons)
right image—over-lapping areas, and the tile setting shows the texture area as small gray square, yes the little one in the left upper corner.

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_14_BPrp_01.zip  (File Size: 193KB - Downloads: 139)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 30 October 2014 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: The tile setting, perhaps not needed to point out with an image, but I it do anyway.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 30 October 2014 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Scotty71,

The move the text question. You set up the text and size in the field (see image) then you set up the size and other parameter. If that is done, THEN you click in the scene to pace your text on the object, and don’t let go of the mouse (down). As long as the mouse is down you can move the text. Similar to that works the “rotate” option (see image).

If that is not to your liking, there are other options. One would be to set up a new Layer (Materials Tab) and place the text on a new layer. With the “Move Layer” tool you can then position your text more comfortably. But this is not connected to the 3D specifics of the object, as it is a layer and it might move widely, if the UV is even scattered, it is not working at all. But it helps perhaps to have a more “trial and error” option.

There are other options, with similar restrictions, like the “Freeze 3D View” option or the Projection/Detach Projection Plane mode. All, more or less a little bit more complex to explain them in a text here, as the Manual did certainly a better job, if tutorials are not sufficient.

All the best
Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 30 October 2014 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2006-12-18

Thank you for the help. I’m going to give another run at it today.  But, in the meantime, I used the text tool - gave it a slight extrusion and a back material.  Then just sunk it into the plate enough to not show an edge - but look painted on.  Its worked well enough - but I still think I can do it quicker with Body Paint once I dive into it a little more. The advantage to painting my text on is that I can more carefully control wear and tear and make it look used.

The 10x10 texture mapping was a quick way to make the rough texture I needed.  The original “bump”  layer I did not spend a lot of time with.  Now, that I have a semi-finished project I can go back and clean it up.  But I needed to get this done really quickly so you take some shortcuts.

As for the triangles - I agree, I can’t stand them and it screws up the final product.  However, because the holes were created using a boole, I forgot to hit the checkbox on key items and was left with triangles. 

I’m printing out all your input and screenshots and will work through it so as I do new projects, I can be better at it.

Thank you very much for you time,
Scott

Posted: 30 October 2014 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Scott,

Certainly a fast and quick solution with the extruded text. You could even paint on both at the same time.

However, the image file that I had provided should help you quickly to get this done in Photoshop.

The modeling, I would cut just parallel lines with the knife and clean it up. The Point Weld tool is a great help.
Edit, please check next post, I found too much trouble in the file as if it would have been so easy/edit.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 30 October 2014 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: I went into your file and checked after you wrote there were trouble. As usual, if one does it not one time through, any tip is just guess-work, and with that just not always (if at all) professional.

So, the main problem that you might encounter is based on that the model has not the same hight on the surface, hence some overlapping polygons. Modeling as found in the initial file is the reason. It never pays off to be rushed in modeling. The time spend later to fix things could have been used in a better way, just to mention a standard experience from the last two decades.

I have of course attached the cleaned-up file. ToO many single steps to write them down. But getting all relevant edges on the same Y level was certainly the main point. Deleting many polygons in the center another, just to give you a hint. Well, I had to delete most of it to get to this result. Please check, you might have now much more fun with it.

Yes, perhaps some more cuts would have even given a more relaxed structure, but I leave it in this state; it should work.

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_14_BPrp_12.zip  (File Size: 83KB - Downloads: 132)
 Signature 

NEW: