A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

A hex-tiled bowl
Posted: 21 October 2014 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2006-07-27

Right, so I have this bowl shape I made with an L shaped spline (heavy chamfer on the corner vertex) to which I have applied a Lathe NURB.  What I am wanting to do is take a seamless hexagon tile and map it to this geometry evenly, as if someone took that old school 60’s tile and did the whole thing.  Regardless of what I do as far as texture mapping goes I cannot get an even result - though I know it must be possible.  Even if it can’t happen with texture, perhaps there is a clever way to do it with with geometry.  It’s a fairly simple idea that is proving to tough to execute. 

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
- Will

Signature 

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Posted: 21 October 2014 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Will,

Hexagonal shapes don’t work in other shapes than flat, if used in a tight structure. If there is a bend or bump, it will not work. If you think about Buckminster Fuller for example, then you might know that tiny adjustments are needed to make that happen.

Anyway, I assume that you know that a perfect hexagon will not allow for that, so please, as usual, please share an example. with a hexa spline—so the scale is clear.

(I have attached some sketches, the scale “axial/radial” can easily be adjusted (from lower point untouched to squeezed in the “bend” region, to lengthen in rim, or in the opposite.)

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]