A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Imported .3ds model deforming
Posted: 17 September 2014 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2014-08-15

I am a bit new to C4D but have always been able to create models in Sketchup and import them as .3ds files into C4D. This method has worked well in the past but just today when rendering my model I have noticed some strange deforming going on in the model.

The model looks to be fine while in the workflow viewport but on render it deforms. I have re-checked the Skecthup file and even imported the .3ds version into Rhino and have found no imperfections or deformations.

Anybody have some thoughts?

I have included the images of one of the deformed areas below from a render as well as images of the same area showing no problems.

Cheers,

P.S. I have just recently switched to R-16… It has been giving me problems with some Lib file. Tech Support has advised me to delete a file in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft named “crypto” and re-install. I have had to do this twice, not sure if this is causing some of my problems.

Posted: 17 September 2014 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Joined  2014-08-15

And I think I figured it out… R-16 seems to have a problem opening files created in R-15 which really makes it difficult to make the transition to R-16. hopefully they will figure this problem out soon.

Posted: 17 September 2014 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi delancie,

This is the second time this week I got here an hint that something is different with the 3ds import.

I highly suggest that you get into contact with the support. It certainly gets its attention but the more data and example files will accelerate to locate the origin of that problem.

http://www.maxon.net/support/support-questions.html

If you can provide here a little file, perhaps just the roof-edge, I can take a look into it, and perhaps search (no promises) for an temporally workaround.

Anyway, all of that is not nice, and I hope your pipeline works fine again ASAP!

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 17 September 2014 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I downloaded SketchUp2014 and tried different other formats, Collada and FBX. Works fine here. How is your experience with such. Perhaps OBJ and DXF might be worth a test as well.

Please check the Phong settings on your model and the Normal direction. This would be the only thing that makes sense right now. The shadows on the model tells me—that I’m 100% wrong with that. But perhaps there is something in the material… OK, enough of the guessing, it is time to explore a file directly. Best you add the SketcUp file as well.

P.S.: I tried to find out what “<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft named “crypto” and re-install.” would do for you. In simple terms, so far I understand, it is more about how the data is stored or encrypted on your system. Windows Pro’s might bear with me here for a moment, if I truncate the full potential here to laymen terms. What I like to say is, it can’t hurt to exclude those things, especially when an replacement was simple.

It is like with searching the car-keys, you find them where you search at last, ;o) after you have excluded all other places. If that was the reason, then it should have stopped. BUT: a damaged file will stay damaged after an reinstall. Leave the file where it is, so it occupies the area of your hard-drive. Export it again and load it again to C4D.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 17 September 2014 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi delancie,

I hope the support will help you.

So far I would suggest to (if you have r15 on your hard drive for the transition time), open the scenes in r15, save as “c4d” and open it in r16.  Let me know if that works.

Besides that, please try Collada or other formats, until the workflow to r16 is fine again for you.

Please check the material, if the displacement channel is in use. If so set up a new material and exchange it for a test. Please provide feedback.

Again, a little test scene would be fine. For a short time I have an Evaluation License of SketchUp2014 here. My old Pro license (was it 5 or 6?) is certainly not a big help here anymore.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 18 September 2014 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2014-08-15

Sassi,

Thank you for the help. I have re-imported the files into R-15 and then transferred them to r-16 and it seems to have worked. Unfortunately R-16 keeps on telling me I am missing a LIb file and wont open. This happens every morning when I open the program again. I have talked to tech support who have advised me to uninstall and re-install but obviously that’s not working. I think for the purposes of this project and due to time restraints I will stick with R-15, at least until they work out the bugs on 16.

In my investigation I also think part of the problem might be how R-16 is interpreting materials and light presets from R-15 versions specifically Greyscalegorilla packs. Anyways just a thought.

Thanks for the help!

Posted: 18 September 2014 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, delancie! (I try mostly to stick with the way you write your name, including capitals, I hope that is OK.)

Have you searched the lib files, do you have access rights to it? My suggestion would be to install it for a test on a different hard drive, or even better on a second computer, and check if it works there. If yes, then check the files in each folder and what is different. Besides that, the support should go through that with you, until it works. They are good, but I guess there is somewhere information missing to solve this. Perhaps the “crypto” thingy had influence already on your application download. (This is a wild guess, I have no ideas about Window stuff.)

Yes, if R15 will do - go for it, even if I know the feeling, you would like to take the new one for a test run.

In the past there were always updates, and I don’t think it will change. Perhaps if there is a new one, you might request a complete new download.

If you can spare a minute, can you send a SketchUp file with the roof-part? Thank you.

My best wishes for your project

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      r16 layer issue ››