A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Motion Blur Problem
Posted: 28 June 2014 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2011-12-01

I have rendered a scene using the Physical Render setting with motion blur applied. The scene is 590 frames - 30fps - Ambient Occlusion, Evaluate Transparency - Motion Blur Subdivisions 4. No light shadows.

17 of the frames (see attached) have errors in the render. This error is seems to be directly related the motion blur setting. When I turn off motion blur the issue is not present. I have tried multiple setting adjustments - added more subdivisions to the motion blur, turned off ambient occlusion, set physical render to high, etc… Nothing removes the problem. The issue is always present on the same frames. Am I possibly missing a setting somewhere that may solve the issue. I really don’t want to have to render the entire sequence again without motion blur and use ReelSmart in composite.

Oh, and the 17 error frames are random not sequential.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posted: 28 June 2014 02:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi there,

I recall the initial question for that set up. Based on that, I would assume that the arrows, if not in the Spline Wrap, would taking place there?! (... but they should not be there, of course, just to be clear, that is not expected). Could you confirm that? It is my best guess, and sorry if I’m wrong. [Deformation subdivision… wild guess as well]

If the “non-wrapped” position is there (which you can easily test), then move the anything away, so the arrows show up only in their wrapped position. Makes sense?

This is my initial idea about. I guess you can’t share the file?

It is around 10:30pm here, perhaps we exchange some thoughts in the morning about. Let me know if the little idea above worked.

The support could help, as it should not be in that way.

Sorry about your stress.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 28 June 2014 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2011-12-01

WOW! it totally solved the problem. Upping the Deformation Subdivision worked! 2 subdivisions lessened the problem, 3 totally cleaned it up. Oddly enough 4 brought it back. You saved me a ton of time, rendering 17 frames instead of 590, what a relief. I can’t thank you enough, I have more scenes to render and have a Monday deadline which I would not have made without you!

Have a great weekend. Thank you, Thank you.

Posted: 28 June 2014 03:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

How great is that! Thanks for the feedback, I loved to read about your success!

It sounds like that a specific relation between appearance of the problem and a parameter-setting exists. Which leads me to the idea that if it shows up again—perhaps a different setting might work then.
[It appears to me like: Interference (wave propagation), in physics (optics), the superposition of two or more waves resulting in a new wave pattern]

Great that it worked, I was already thinking about a workaround, rendering additional frames without arrows and “roto” the problem out for the 17 frames—something like that.

I cross the fingers for your deadline, and that we might find an option to reproduce the problem, so it can fixed.

Have a great weekend

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]