A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Basic Flying Logo
Posted: 28 February 2014 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-11-16

I’m new to cinema 4d, and having an issue with flying logo tutorial. When I set up the letters for the animation, the do not rotate and fly in like they are supposed to. I’m following all of the steps, but we’re not getting the response from the program we’re looking for. Is there something we’re missing?

Thank you,

Posted: 28 February 2014 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Btrombley82,

Would you mind to share your scene file? I will have a look into it.

You also can download the file from the tutorial and compare it with yours (see image).

If you have questions about a tutorial, there is a button to click right where the tutorial is (see image). This will create a post/thread in the Tutorial discussion forum. Which allows others to find it more easily.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 28 February 2014 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2012-11-16

Here is the file. We’ve been going back and forth between the tutorial and the sample file, and we just kind find what we’re doing wrong. We add the key frame on 40, then set the rotations, then add the key from on 60. when we play back, the letters do not rotate in.

File Attachments
3D flying logo failed attempt.zip  (File Size: 147KB - Downloads: 209)

Posted: 28 February 2014 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the file, Btrombley82.

I have attached three images. Two are based on the hierarchy in the tutorial file and one that I took from your scene file. Please compare them, you will see that the order is a critical point here.

Secondly, the Plain effector might work here nicely as well, but the fall off was not oriented (See the top view image). Compare for the Effector the Coordinates as well the Falloff direction (X or Z, + or -).

Some people like to rotate the effector instead of setting up the x,y,z (+/-) direction. Both works, as long as you keep the animation under control. My tip try both versions, but before you animate, get the direction right.

As a minor point, the size of the falloff is pretty small, which is OK, but it will lead to a different behavior of the letters, explore different length here, if you like to see the influence. The Falloff of the Effector was also left to 50% (default), the tutorial has it on 100% in the file, which will set the effective length of the falloff to half in you scene, which means even shorter.

As a little side note, the less keyframes you use per track, the more influence each keyframe has. As an result of this, each adjustment of a key, especially in the F-Curve, will have a greater effect. This results in lees work normally and enables a faster workflow. It is like in Illustrator, the lower the point-amount, the faster the shape can be adjusted, and mostly, the result is cleaner. Just my two cents.

Good luck

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 28 February 2014 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2012-11-16

Thank you for the response. We will try it and see how it goes.

Posted: 28 February 2014 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Btrombley82.

My best wishes

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: