A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

How do you copy your LIB file to a new hard drive?
Posted: 04 November 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2011-01-26

Hey guys, my current hard drive is almost full and I installed a 1TB drive. I want to move all my materials and models to the new drive without losing all the material paths.

How can I move the lib files to a new hard drive and still keep them linked up?

Thanks,

John

Posted: 04 November 2013 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi John,

The “Content Browser” can open any folder on your drive and keep its structure. Files that were created by CINEMA 4D, should be placed where they were before (Application Folder for the installed version, and other places, e.g., Preferences.

If you like to work with the path—the manual suggests here this:
[R15] Manual> Reference> CINEMA 4D> CINEMA 4D Prime> Configuration
Information for administrators
Path administration in CINEMA 4D

Perhaps you have a look here:
http://www.cineversity.com/forums/viewthread/1094/

On Mac, the simplest way is normally done with “Carbon Copy Cloner”, to migrate the files to a new drive without the effort to install everything newly—given that the new disc is named as before.

To make back ups simpler, I like to have things separated on several disks. But one TB sounds like a Laptop, and there external drives might be not practical sometimes, otherwise, use your previous drive as external and access it from the Content Browser for these files. Just a thought, and perhaps, as I mentioned, not practical.

Perhaps you request a tutorial about, and others may “vote” for that as well.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]