A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

1 of 2
R15 - Team Render question
Posted: 21 August 2013 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-05-28

Hi all—

Wondering about the team render capabilities in the new product.  I’m watching Nick Campbell’s SIGGRAPH preso and he talks a bit about team render.  He made a statement that basically team render is equivalent to what we have in Net Render today.  What I haven’t heard much discussion about is how it’s licensed - is it truly like Net Render where we have an unlimited number of potential clients that we can use because it’s covered in our current license, or are we limited by the number of full client licenses that we can install?  I only have a single license for myself - so wondering how team render would affect me, or am I still stuck with Net Render?

thanks

Posted: 21 August 2013 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Ryan,

Broadcast and Visualize can add up to three to a current job, Studio is not limited at all. To my understanding, a single Studio License allows to work with all machines as render-nodes that are able to work with the software, and of course are able to connect with your scene (network wise p2p).

All the best

Sassi

http://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/new_in_cinema_4d_r15_teamrender  (2:28—for the requested information)

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 21 August 2013 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2007-05-28

Thanks, Dr.  I think you answered my question.  Based on what you’re saying, Studio, for example, allows unlimited team render clients.  My question is really “what constitutes a team render client?”.  So if I only have a single Studio license, I don’t work in a studio with other artists, but I have other machines on my network that I could use.  You’re saying that with my single Studio license, I can use those other systems in my house without each of them requiring a Studio license as well.  That’s much like the way Net Render does its licensing - unlimited render nodes. 

Do you know if setting up a new team render client is basically installing the entire client again, or is it a specialized installation like the Net Render installation was?

Also (sorry for all the detailed questions), do each of the client systems need the same plugins and access to the same library/browser content as the host machine, or is that somehow managed by the software so you don’t have to keep your host and client filesystems/installs in sync?  It was like this with Net Render, and caught me off guard the times that I used it…

Posted: 21 August 2013 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Ryan, the idea is normally that a Team has the same installation/configuration, so they can work together with no problems. If one has other duties, s/he can allow to have the rendering done as well on the “free” machines. Hence the Team in the name. This would be based on several individual licenses. Not your question I know, but to be complete here, and not suggesting that the Render Client is the only way. The same license will not run on several machines in a network, which leads to the use of the Render Clients.

If one works with a single license, the render client needs to be installed, with all plug-ins and always everything at the same release level.
I’m not certain if I’m allowed to quote at that point anything from my beta resources, so please bear with me here. Soon the new version will be available.
The idea is a “peer to peer” communication (Net Render was a centralized workflow and with that there was the danger to create a bottle neck). The P2P might allow for many new options, which I’m certain will be discussed later.

My best wishes

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 21 August 2013 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2007-05-28

Just to be clear, this statement:

Dr. Sassi - 21 August 2013 05:38 PM

If one works with a single license, the render client needs to be installed, with all plug-ins and always everything at the same release level.

Is that a “Team Render” client or a traditional “Net Render” client that you’re talking about?  I figured the “Team Render” had a specific use-case around a team sharing computing power, but I didn’t know how that affected the traditional Net Render workflow, centralized as you mentioned.  Whether for single license users not working with a team of people (and multiple licenses) if it’s something we’d be working with, or if we’re going to be still using Net Render instead.

Posted: 21 August 2013 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Ryan,

There is no NET-Render in R15.

Net Render had a centralized server like function, collecting and receiving from a single point, with the bottleneck that centralized systems have. If you watch the movie that I linked above, Rick shows the Peer-to-Peer network. In that way, information can be shared without loading more traffic to a single machine.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 21 August 2013 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2007-05-28

Totally missed that link.  Thanks, I’ll check that out.  I think I have my (many) questions answered.  Thanks again!

Posted: 21 August 2013 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome :o)

I believe once the release is widely in use, there will be more Information as well as Tips&Tricks;. It’s around the corner ;o)

Have a great day

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 21 August 2013 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2007-05-28

I figured as much, just like to start thinking a bit about it now. smile

Posted: 21 August 2013 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Of course!

I write always a little bit broader in the forum, certainly more than the initially question needs (at least I try), as I see the forum as public place for many artists, with different areas of main interest. I never underestimate (hopefully) anyone!

:o)

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 17 September 2013 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-02-14

Hi everyone smile

This TeamRender is really great to use on local network,
but… what about distant rendering (RenderFarm, etc) ?

For many years now, i use RenderFarm for complex animated projects
i’m used to drive my renders through the old-NetRender, dealing with FTP for transferring tasks and rendered passes

but now… with TeamRender… i can’t figure how it will be possible hmmm

thx for any advice !

Posted: 17 September 2013 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Gyom,

External (third party) render farms provide perhaps a set up as before. But I assume your question goes more into the theme of cloud computing? The self established “Render-Farm”.

So far I know, some people have done this already. If I recall this correctly—with a huge number of connected CPUs.

Would you mind to put this as an request into the “Tutorial Suggestion Forum” so others can add suggestions to it if needed?

I think especially the points in the bullet list “Miscellaneous” (Help Content) need to be discussed in such tutorial series.

Thanks a lot.

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 17 September 2013 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Joined  2012-02-14

Thank you Sassi for this fast feedback !

yes, i know some RenderFarm did develop some extra tools to handle various 3D software rendering

the one i use (don’t know if i’m allowed to name it here) is using NetRender directly :
at home i’m able to open distant NetRender jobs html page, monitoring the clients through NetRender html page too
all the transfer part was done with FTP : uploading the scene and downloading rendered passes all in one .zip file once render done.

anyway,
if anyone knows if this kind of html feature will be added again by Maxon
or if it’s possible to develop an external plugin for that
... i would be more confident with my future jobs on R15 wink

Posted: 17 September 2013 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, Gyom.

From my point of view, to start a professional render farm for clients means to rent out expertise and CPU hours. As the TR-Renderclient needs to fit (release wise) and the machines should be as similar as possible (mixed CPUs in cloud based renderings might cause side-effects), perhaps the future is just based on pure CPU rent only (with an option to distribute the needed content automatically to all “render-clients”.) What Cloud distributors need to do is to allow to limit the variety of the sub cloud to be used.

Rick or Patrick are more into that theme than I am, a reason why I suggested to provide this as an request.

I certainly understand the “confident in future jobs on R15”, and you should feel confident of course. But that would be an hint to the sales department of MAXON ;o)

If you miss out something in the functionally, or ease of set up, please use the http://www.maxon.net/support/suggestions.html form to provide your needs and ideas. CINEMA 4D has grown over the past two decades based on an tremendous amount of artist input. Team Render is after all v1.

Sorry to point only into the please “suggest or request” direction.

Have a great day

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 17 September 2013 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Joined  2012-02-14

Thx again Sassi smile
... and don’t be sorry of not being god !

so yes… gonna mail to God-Maxon…
anyway, i’m confident in C4D : i love this soft so much, and it is evolving continuously and consistently in the right way.

Posted: 17 September 2013 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you Gyom!

Hehe, I’m far away of being something like that. I haven’t met anyone who knows everything of C4D, and that is the beauty of communication, forums and meetings, there is always something to take home from it. I use C4D since R4 (1996) and have read the manual completely (A-Z) three times in my life, I should do it again of course. But even after getting since nearly ten years, as online instructor, on a daily basis question close or far away to my own context of work, I double check, read the section in the manual (again) and try things out if possible, before I say something. Even now, working on a movie short of a painted C4D movie short, I have my “R&D Hat” on and try to find the best procedural.

Yes, it has been a blast so far and I guess it will get even better in the future :o)

My best wishes
Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

1 of 2